Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Valgard

Thanks folks, you've given me a lot to think about! Falconis hit the nail on the head. Part of the WIP thing I guess is to figure out what doesn't work as well, and the balance is something to experiment with So in a way I'm glad. I love the feedback and honesty. it helps my whole process. Gonna keep working on this beast...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Though I find the map too dark for my tastes, I'd leave the blue out, the background pop put too much with it.

Hey Failtality, I agree with the others about the forests and their trunks and about the light saturated bits of the water being a bit distracting. I still kind of like the idea of the landmasses being black just for it feeling fresh and being a different approach.

You haven't copyrighted your style yet, do you ? Because I might "inspire" myself to create a map in the future. I'm talking about the darker style.

Hey all, thanks for the feedback and honesty! I think when I read "too dark" I was equating that with the map also being hard to read and see. Anyhoo, I have gone back to the original colors; because while it also is a dark map, it goes with the style I'm trying the achieve. I did change the color of the forests to a better green, I think, so that will look better. I also did a resize of the map to something bigger, that I think overall helps. I also like to have significant updates, so I'm going to include some location information in this post. I would have liked to get all of the area's places done, but now is as good a time as any to share Let me know if you see any inconsistencies, as I've tweaked the history several times. Oh, and Azelor, no I haven't =) I'd be excited to see what you come up with!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World-Valgard.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	56635

NORTH AETHONIA
    Long ago, just after the tragic and mysterious fall of a mythic kingdom, these lands were settled. Among the windswept, a select group of heroes rose to lead their people and found new cities in which they could live. Indeed, many called it the Golden Age of Heroes. Their people were known as the Aethonians- The Shining Ones. Legends say these good folk were the offspring and descendants of the mysterious Courtiers and Humans that once lived in the ruined islands southward. And so, for those who went north, the land was named in their honor.

ALHEIM: At one time an upstart province of the Empire, this regency once boasted a second Emperor. The royal line has died off or disappeared, however, and so it is left to an elected Regent to rule the land.
    New Volsung: Named after a legendary knight, this is a major city of Aethonia. Once a second seat of the Empire. It is the capitol of the land's regency.
    ANDORA
    DURENHART: Originally the center of the late and great Durenhart Empire, this is land is the last remnant of those halcyon days. While still the largest and most powerful nation, its current emperor struggles to maintain its former glory.
    Calemvost: This terraced city is also home to the Temple of the Templars. It over looks the great Lake Calivan.
    Hart’s Court: Named after the founder and legendary hero, Arnessus Hart, it is the capital of Durenhart, and seat of the empire.
    Highwatch: A major outpost in the mountains in the east of Durenhart.
    ESCLAIN: Home to a nation of inventors and engineers. This country is currently in hostile relations with Durenhart, and may be nearing war.
    Ironmarch: Capital of Esclain, it is in a prime location to take advantage of the many surrounding natural resources.
    FALVAIRE
    Alabaster: Named after a legendary hero, this secluded and enchanting city is home to the fabled gigantic white leaved trees.
    GELMORE
    OSTERANTH
    Caesura: Set in a canyon, this city is named after one of the legendary heroes. The hot days are made bearable by its majestic fountains littered through its streets
    SORENSAL: A country with an on and off relationship with the empire over the years, this country boasts the largest population of Emblazoned, those touched by the other world.
    VARTICA
    Iskander: Named after a legendary hero, this city's outer walls are made of a twisting labyrinth to keep unwanted visitors out. It also is a major sea port.
    VOLTA: In truth, this country is still more of an independent territory than a full fledged nation, and it owes its fealty to Durenhart. One day it hopes to change that.
    Essermark: Home to the training grounds to the infamous “Enforcers,” who are hired out to the highest bidder, currently the empire of Durenhart.

The problem with the original colours for me is the forests. They have too much grey in them for me to read them as trees rather than say hills. The reason being is that when viewing one accepts that the grey things with peaks are mountains then the logical leap is for the next more muted grey blobs to be hills. At least for me. Honestly until someone pointed it out I never would have taken them as forests.

Duely noted Falconius! That is a good way of putting it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greentest.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	56641

Do you think that is a better green to tell its a forest, while still maintaining the tone of the map?
    Last edited by Failtality; 08-04-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Well, that's what i have been saying for pages now. Not sure if the new color is fitting. I think it could still be greener. This almost looks yellow to me.
    Azelor's "testdrive" was also quite good.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Oh, sorry Eilathen, I didn't mean to insinuate that you hadn't said the same thing before, I just thought the way Falconious put it was interesting. I do like Azelors testdrive as well, but maybe it had too much blue in it.

Name:  greentest.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  38.6 KB

I dunno, Sometimes I think I see colors oddly XP Sorry, I hope I'm not being a pain!

I think both those alternatives work well. If I had to shoose between them I don't know really which one I'd go with. Probably the first one, because I saw it first *shrug*. The second style seems to mirror the mountains better, but the yellowish one seems to go with the map colours better.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast