Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Valgard

Maybe something in between ?

That might have come off a bit snarky, if so, i apologize, Failtality. That was not my intention. I was just a bit baffled.
    And i do like the second one better, but I'd have to see it on the full map to really make a decision. Maybe a green that is a bit brighter would work even better?

And hey, this is a WIP, so you are not a pain at all! If anything, we loudmouths are criticizing all day long like that. Just to say it again: i really think you have something here! A really unique style of your own.
    I'm just voicing my opinion on it, feel free to ignore anything and everything
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

TOOTHPASTE !!!

that was my idea from the begining: 00f0a1
    Attachment 56645

or consider adding some color to the mountains if the forest don't fit. Something like a grey or a light blue.
    Last edited by Azélor; 08-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.

-Azelor: Egads, that IS green! At least all the folks in Valgard will have healthy chompers =D

-Eilathen: I didn't think it was snarky, I was just hoping you weren't upset. I like strong opinions! My philosophy is every constructive suggestion has some merit to it, so it's worth trying out. I may not use it all the time, but it's worth trying. So no worries!

Very green and very clearly forest indeed

Hey folks, sorry I havn't posted much recently at all. I've not only been busy at work, but family stuff and sickness has overrun me- not to mention I have been agonizing over this darn map. The one area of Aethonia is very important to me right now, because it basically what I started off with when I thought up this crazy world. I wanted to make sure all the countries in it made sense, and that it fit within my original vision. I didn't just wanted to slap some names in there and call it a day. They had to have a distinct character. You might notice places have been moved around, etc. This actually more closely represents one of the first concepts of the world (I also wanted two rival nations and their capitals to be separated by a large lake, so I am a bit wishy-washy on New Volsung's location. (Fun fact: at the very first all the nations used to be named after famous/ mythical swords, but I scrapped that idea because it seemed just a bit too much.)) I did some refining and better writeups of locations, so if there is some consistancy errors, let me know! It's not exhaustive, but it'll give you a good broad picture of the area. If there is more to say that I'm forgetting, I'll edit this post as needed =) As I move forward I will not be posting location info, etc unless requested, or it is a truly major addition... So for those new places outside Aethonia... Well, you'll have to wait. I think I've got some good stuff =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World-Valgard.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	57031

AETHONIA
    Long ago, just after the tragic and mysterious fall of a mythic kingdom, these lands were settled. Among the windswept, a select group of heroes rose to lead their people and found new cities in which they could live. Indeed, many called it the Golden Age of Heroes. Their people were known as the Aethonians- The Shining Ones. Legends say these good folk were the offspring and descendants of the mysterious Courtiers and Humans that once lived in the ruined islands southward. And so, for the vast majority who went north, the land was named in their honor.
    For many years the majority of the eastern nations were one- The Durenhart Empire, but eventually dissolved into smaller nations due to a variety of circumstances. The western countries, on the other hand, were never really taken into the fold. Due to their difficult geography and even more difficult citizens, the Empire was unable to keep a strong political hold on the area.

ALHEIM: At one time an upstart province of the Empire, this regency once boasted a second Emperor. The royal line has died off or disappeared, however, and so it is left to an elected Regent to rule the land.
    New Volsung: Named after a legendary knight, this is a major city of Aethonia. Once a second seat of the Empire. It is the capitol of the land's regency.
    ANDORA: Hardly organized nation, led by heads of many disparate clans.
    CORRENCE: Once a busy trade province of the Empire, it is now a sleepy and neutral country.
    Morsmuth:
    DELANGER: Once a major import and export center for the Empire due to its access to varied natural resources and trade routes, it was one of the first nations to truly claim its independence from the empire- both politically and financially
    DURENHART: Originally the center of the late and great Durenhart Empire, this is land is the last remnant of those halcyon days. While still the largest and most powerful nation, its current emperor struggles to maintain its former glory. Its borders once covered most of eastern Aethonia.
    Calemvost: This terraced city is also home to the Temple of the Templars. It stands on the sacred Pilgrim's Mount.
    Hart’s Court: Named after the founder and legendary hero, Arnessus Hart, it is the capital of Durenhart, and seat of the empire, overlooking the great Lake Calivan.
    Highwatch: A major outpost in the mountains in the east of Durenhart.
    ESCLAIN: Home to a nation of inventors and engineers. This country is currently in hostile relations with Durenhart, and may be nearing war.
    Athmos: Capital of Esclain, it is a major center of innovation
    FALVAIRE
    Alabaster: Named after a legendary hero, this secluded and enchanting city is home to the fabled gigantic white leaved trees.
    GALLENTRIN: Slightly backwards but quaint kingdom made up of two large isles, still adhering to a feudal system.
    GALNYR: Matriarchal society of warriors and hunters.
    GELMORE: Pastoral nation
    KESTON: So named in it's local dialect, this “keystone” nation once held West and East Aethonia together, but has fallen on hard times due to recent poor relations between nations.
    LARENCIA: A country founded by nobles, still linked to Durenhart. A center of arts.
    OSTERANTH
    Caesura: Set in a canyon, this city is named after one of the legendary heroes. The hot days are made bearable by its majestic fountains littered through its streets
    RASTOVIA: A nation well known for its love of life and laid back attitude, largely in contrast with its surrounding nations. Despite this, they are a largely insular people, and do not fully trust outsiders until they prove themselves. Its peoples are disparate but of a singular mind.
    SORENSAL: A country with an on and off relationship with the empire over the years, this country boasts the largest population of Emblazoned, those touched by the other world.
    TYRN: A respected and powerful kingdom. It once attempted to conquer the other western nations, but failed due to similar problems other nations had trying to do so.
    Yseldia: Known to many as an ice palace, it is actually made of a lustrous white stone abundant in the area. Said to be one of the most beautiful locales in all of Aethonia. It's current Queen Yseld II is a benevolent ruler, often sending aide to those in need.
    VARENVANCE: One of the few countries never part of the Empire. Maintains and is proud of its national identity.
    VARTICA
    Iskander: Named after a legendary hero, this city's outer walls are made of a twisting labyrinth to keep unwanted visitors out. It also is a major sea port.
    VOLTA: In truth, this country is still more of an independent territory than a full fledged nation, and it owes its fealty to Durenhart. One day it hopes to change that.
    Essermark: Home to the training grounds to the infamous “Enforcers,” who are hired out to the highest bidder, currently the empire of Durenhart.
    WESSENGAR: Positioned in a hilly country, settlers have come to find a simple but arduous life. Many of the towns rely on their own local government, but as it was one of the older countries founded outside of the Empire, the people rely on a strong national identity.

Nice work on the background information my friend! Are you planning on having wide swaths of wild unclaimed territory?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Y'know, one thing I'd change if it was my map would be to make the spacing between the characters in your names a bit wider; as it is now, some of the letters kind of run into each other, making some of the names hard to read.

@ Viking- eventually I'd like to have everything covered, so this is a long term project. There may be a few unclaimed areas though. I think that'd make sense in terms of the world. I love to go in depth though.

@Diamond- Good suggestion! Is there a way to do that automatically in PS without having to do it between each letter? Do you just choose that setting before you star typing away? Not able to get on my computer at the moment to test.

Thanks for the faves btw!!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yep, there's an easy way to do it - just click on the text layer you want to change, and using the text/character box, change your spacing using the 'tracking' option. (Mine looks like a horizontal arrow underneath a capital VA.) If you've already merged all your text layers though, you're screwed.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast