Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Valgard

Long time no see folks, Sorry I haven't posted in FOR.EV.ER! Work and life have managed to get in the way of long stints of progress.(As well as a well needed vacation to Disney!) Over the past few months I've taken a heavy critical eye to my map. I actually ended up getting a new computer as well, and it really changed my perspective on the color, etc. (My old monitors colors were really weird, and made many colors bright and saturated to me) I knew it was time to put some time into an overhaul after seeing the old map on my shiny new machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM-World-Valgard.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	58983

While I really liked the charm of the dark map, I quickly realized that going forward with that color scheme wouldn't be the best idea, and most importantly it didn't make me happy. This new version incorporated many of the original ideas I was going for. First off, my main desire was to mix fantasy and modern/ art deco aesthetics. The geometric designs obviously reflect the art deco feel, but the map too, while looking like a worn fantasy map, I also feel like looks like a 30s era military map, thrown in with a twinge of age of exploration/ discovery. I knew I also didn't want traditional grid-lines. At first I wanted some more arcane leyline type thing. That didn't work out, but I think I found something that sort of harks back to an ancient star map kind of feel, so that was just as good or better. In the end, it was important to emphasize that the people of Valgard didn't think the same about their world as we do ours now. The colored rings in the off-center do in fact serve a purpose. The best way to explain it is as a staggered field effect of chaotic/ magical energies. I also decided to simply hint at some geography rather than outright paint it out. I may in the future, but for right now this is intended as more of a stylized/ political map. Any suggestions in how to subtly but clearly indicate geography whle still maintaining the map style is welcome =) As of now I think there are some color balance issues left and maybe a few tiny mistakes here and there, but overall I am very pleased. Comments and criticism more than welcome, as always.

I should also mention this is a resize- the original version has readable labels =)

PS- It's good to be back!
    Last edited by Failtality; 11-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Sorry to post twice, but another significant update =). Trying to get the right feel for some continent labels. I realize they are not 100% necessary, but I'd like to have them, as they really dictate the story of the world.

Name:	SM-World-Valgard.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	59137

They seem like they are a wee bit squeezed in, but maybe not too bad... Aethonia will be the only real issue, since it is the most fragmented. I have played around with pen paths and other such things, but I can never seem to get curved text to look like I want. Any suggestions are most welcome though. Decided to ditch the parchment texture. sort of washed out everything. I worked a lot more of the subtle topography though, it should be a bit more apparent.

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

I assume the map is bigger in actuality since the city text is almost illegibly small, but other than that it looks fantastic.

Ah yeah, this is half the size. The original file is too large, haha. Thanks though!

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Ah yeah that'd be fine then. Good stuff.

I like the new look eventhough the old one was more unique. I do hope you'll add mountains and forests again. And that we can see the fullsize of the finished map even if it's an outside-link
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Aw, well now I'm torn since I loved where the old one was going but this one is very clear, legible, and good too. Although I do hope you do go back to the other one and finish that up after the new one is completed

I do think the darker map was more unique, but many of the elements in it I wasn't happy with. Without them the rest of the map didn't work, so I knew I had to start from the ground up anyway. In the end, Valgard is a world of light, and I think the other color scheme sort of misrepresented that. HOWEVER there is a world of twilight in the Nevereach, and I think revisiting some of the things that made the old map great would work for that project

I got bored and played around with colors... I think my previous attempts at trying to get the darker colors weren't as successful as this.

Name:	SM-V2-World-Valgard.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	59281

I was so sure that the more beige tone read better, but does this seem like a more compelling coloration? I kind of like it now. Self doubt rears its ugly head at night, and feel a bit hypocritical. Blargh =(
    Last edited by Failtality; 11-24-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I liked the beige one... but this one kicks ass.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast