Thread: Thorin's map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I print things out quite a bit, and then "age" them for my rpg group. Distressing something, scanning it, and then reproducing it - just like making something look "distressed" via photoshop/gimp - it just never looks right to me when you print it out. It looks too perfect to me, and then you still end up having to fold it and what not. Keep in mind, you want to use a laser printer - not a inkjet (or the like).

Steps I use are:
    1. Print on higher quality paper (usually resume paper or the like) using laser printer.
    2. Take a Tea bag, let it step in hot tea for say - 1 minute. Then use it to go over both sides of the paper, making sure to coat it completely. Till you get a nice "Tan" parchment like look.
    3. Fill a bowl w/ balsimic vinegar - and dip the edges so they come out w/ a darker look aged look.
    4. Crumple up into a little ball.
    5. Unfold and iron out (this is like the ovan step from above, but get's the paper back to nice and flat and is pretty quick).
    6. Fold where you want it a couple time, and then set under a heavy book.

If you want to add a few more steps - try rubbing used coffee grinds over the paper after you've "Teabagged" it (hehehehe. Yes. I went there). Also, wet the bottom of one of your coffee cups and set it on the paper after you've ironed it to get some pleasent coffee wring stains.

I frequently keep a couple extra pieces around blank, and have a nice black pen that to use on them for quick hand drawn maps &/or notes that my group finds.

Also, the acids in the tea, coffee, and vinegar will affect the paper's longevity - one of the reasons I like a nice higher quality paper. However, it's quick and even then "distressing" the paper, like distressing jeans will affect the longevity. I would image though, if you take care of the paper, it should easily still last a very long time. That it's so easy to do, makes up for any loss of longevity IMO.
    Last edited by MeFanch; 08-12-2013 at 03:52 AM.