Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Touenkoku

Guild Adept

There is a little too much BRAAAAINS effect into these rivers for my taste. Also the "soft", and semi-circular, coastline does not help with that.

I don't think I'm going to restart the project from the rivers at this point. I'll populate the rest of the map and see where the dice fall.

also is everyone a damn zombie, always thinking about brains grmbl grmbl
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 08-16-2013 at 12:14 PM.

It is well thought out.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Ah well maybe rivers are just super important in this place It looks nice so far!

Ok, I went and modified the rivers.

1. Straightened them out a bit, less loops, less brain problems.

2. Joined together some upriver bits of coastal rivers to make larger watershed for *Yangtze and the *Yellow River equivalents.

Mountains, walls, various easy-to-make borders done.

Now to populate it.

But honestly, that sounds like a lot of work, just these easy ones were hard.

For the icons I've decided to go with:

(Japanese, Mandarin)

Red rectangle is a city. Fusangmen, Mulberry Gate, Fusōmon is the only example here.

White rectangle with black border is a town, no examples because honestlyyyyy.

White rectangle with a coloured border is a capital, red for land, and one unique blue one for Dragon Palace City in the ocean. Huangjing/Ōkyō in Yellow province, Huangdao, Ōdō

Rounded white rectangles are islands: Penglai/Hourai, Fāngzhàng (方丈), Dàiyú (岱舆), Yuánjiāo (员娇) on the north east, the five islands where Immortals dwell. Urashima / Pudao?, named after a Japanese fairytail figure who visits the undersea Dragon kingdom and gets Rip Van Winkled.

Rounded red rectangles provincial capitals: Seishū, Genshū, Hakushū, Shushū, Blue, Black, White, Red provincial capitals resp.

Blue rectangles are under-sea cities. Longmen, Dragon's Gate south of Red Province, Ao Palace City to the east of the mainland, named after the surname of the dragon kings of the ocean...

Various mountains, Kunlun, Buzhou, Feather Mountain, Jade Mountain, Jade Pond for that lake up there probably change it.

These are mostly names taken from various Chinese and Sino-Japanese myths, or variations from them, like Ao Palace City or Fusang Gate. The provinces are named after the colours and the guardians of the five cardinal directions.

Pretty hills. Those bright red walls are a titch painful to look at, because of the brightness+saturation. But it could be because the surrounding background is also very bright, as the red label on the right seems fine. You might consider taking the highest value of the parchment down a notch. Then again, it might be only my eyes or monitor or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Pretty hills.
    Ah yes, my Fantasy *Himalayas.

Those bright red walls are a titch painful to look at, because of the brightness+saturation. But it could be because the surrounding background is also very bright, as the red label on the right seems fine. You might consider taking the highest value of the parchment down a notch. Then again, it might be only my eyes or monitor or both.
    I think I'll wait for a second opinion, because honestly that sounds like a pretty bright monitor. The white is an offwhite, no that close to #FFF at all.
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 08-19-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I think the red of the walls is fine.

Only my eyes then. It doesn't look all that close to FFF on my monitor... just seems bright.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast