Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calisdania

Banned User

Default Calisdania

Just playing around with a recent map I made to see what it would look like in an actual book.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map in Antique Book Calisdania.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	888.7 KB 
ID:	68803

Here's the map itself.

Name:	World Style 11 C.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	68804

Guild Artisan

Nice effect.
    But for an apparently thick book it looks too flat, especially the bottom edge.
    You could deform the center and overlay a shadowing like that :

Name:	Book.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	68806

Nice map, the overhaul feeling really works well, just 2 small critics: First your mountains lines could have been a little bit thiner, and for the dots that represent cities maybe you could have used something different from the dots used to represent roads.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    Nice effect.
    But for an apparently thick book it looks too flat, especially the bottom edge.
    You could deform the center and overlay a shadowing like that :

Name:	Book.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	68806
    Thank you for the suggestion, Deadshade, you are probably right. This was just a bit of play, not a finished idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    Nice map, the overhaul feeling really works well, just 2 small critics: First your mountains lines could have been a little bit thiner, and for the dots that represent cities maybe you could have used something different from the dots used to represent roads.
    Thank you for the constructive ideas, Francissimo. I'll take a look at both of those things.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

You might want also to check your forests, some trees are overlapping which isn't very aesthetic. Also aren't the river flowing from Big Tern Lake and the ones near Marshdell and Morport supposed to take a shorter way to the sea that they do at the moment? I would also try to add some white stroke or outer glow on some labels, especially ones on the forests. At print size, some would be barely legible. The landmass shape is pretty good. It somehow reminds me a continent I draw some times ago which is good because I liked it a lot
    Last edited by - Max -; 11-01-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Nice map, chick. One thought that came to mind when looking at the book version... if you lighten the title, cartouche, and border stuff to a similar value-range as the rest of the map it might give it just a little more togetherness (if that makes sense). Also, a little aside... I really like your new monogram signature.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    You might want also to check your forests, some trees are overlapping which isn't very aesthetic. Also aren't the river flowing from Big Tern Lake and the ones near Marshdell and Morport supposed to take a shorter way to the sea that they do at the moment? I would also try to add some white stroke or outer glow on some labels, especially ones on the forests. At print size, some would be barely legible. The landmass shape is pretty good...
    Rivers do not take the "shortest way to the sea". That idea implies that the water somehow knows where the nearest sea is and consciously flows that direction. Water flows downhill, no matter where the nearest sea is. The person I am doing this for wanted the river where it is, so I deliberately placed hills along the eastern coastlands to provide the high ground keeping the river flowing southward.

Trees growing closely together do overlap from a somewhat side perspective, is this not pretty natural?

I agree about the outer glow. The labels on top of the forests and mountains do in fact have a white outer glow, but clearly it is not strong enough.

As for the land shape, it follows the general lines that my friend gave me. This is the first map where I have hand drawn the coastlines and the mountains instead of using a blob method. I looked long and hard at many maps posted here on CG for inspiration about coastline shapes and mountain shapes, and Max, yours are among the best, so if this looks the slightest bit like yours, I take that as an extreme compliment, because that is exactly what I hoped to accomplish. It was just freehand mouse scribbling back and forth across the smoother outline he provided.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such excellent criticisms, I really appreciate such help when I am still trying hard to learn.
    Last edited by Chick; 11-01-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Nice map, chick. One thought that came to mind when looking at the book version... if you lighten the title, cartouche, and border stuff to a similar value-range as the rest of the map it might give it just a little more togetherness (if that makes sense). Also, a little aside... I really like your new monogram signature.
    Thanks, Chashio. The monogram signature is a ripped-off idea, I just love Max's and a couple of others that I've seen I made it by playing with a lot of curly fonts until I found one where the swirl in the tail of the C and the top of the Y coincided perfectly. Then I sized them so the gap of the C exactly matched the starting swirl of the Y.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post

Trees growing closely together do overlap from a somewhat side perspective, is this not pretty natural?
    It is but from a drawing point, you wouldn't like to see some transparency on overlapping, whch is waht hapenns on your trees. The overlap only works if the trees aren't transparent but filled with white

I agree about the outer glow. The labels on top of the forests and mountains do in fact have a white outer glow, but clearly it is not strong enough.
    I was rather talking about city labels, that don't seem to have any outerglow. This said I would also avoid transparency on forest labels layers. Use solid colors instead.
    Last edited by - Max -; 11-01-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks, Chashio. The monogram signature is a ripped-off idea, I just love Max's and a couple of others that I've seen I made it by playing with a lot of curly fonts until I found one where the swirl in the tail of the C and the top of the Y coincided perfectly. Then I sized them so the gap of the C exactly matched the starting swirl of the Y.
    Hahaha. I've always liked the ones I've seen too.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast