Thread: [Award Winner] Regional Map using Xara Xtreme 4.0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tutorial Steps 16 - 20 and we're done!

Five more steps and this tutorial is finished!

Step Sixteen: Next import a forest texture, I used the best one I could find at:http://www.cgtextures.com

Import, then delete. Select the forest shape, apply the forest texture with the Color Fill Tool and the bitmap selection of the dropdown and the forest texture (now added to the gallery.)

Sometimes I want a different color then the texture provided. So with the forest filled, forest shape selected, click the Transparency Tool. In the top transparency menu, the second dropdown with the default setting of "Mix", go to the second option which is "Stained Glass".

This option of transparency works very similar to a layers effect in Photoshop. It allows the background object to show through the shape the effect is applied to - it looks right to me.

Continue to create a second forest shape on the other side of the river.

I forgot to mention, these particular forests should be placed on the ground level below the plateau, as I plan to use a different colored forest on top.

The first image shows the results.

Step Seventeen: now to create the forests on the plateau and in the valleys between the mountains we've created. Using the freehand drawing tool create a scalloped forest shape on ground areas and valleys between the mountains (we want the mountains to rise above the forest level.)

The second image shows this result.

Step Eighteen: apply the Forest texture fill. Since these forests are so scanty in shape, you won't need to apply a transparency effect. Instead "Feather" the object to give it a more realistic edge - don't let the forest disappear by feathering tool much, however.

The third image shows the results (along with the completed forested areas.)

Step Nineteen: now to create the water level, first the shallows. This one is easy. First create a rectangle that completely covers the map area. Select the "teal color" in the color menu at the very bottom of the screen. Next go to "Arrange/Move to Back". That's it, now your river is filled as well as the oceans beyond the coast.

In Campaign Cartographer, the water level is created at map setup in the wizard at the start of the app. Because Xara Xtreme is a vector drawing application, you can do any step, at any time. I usually do the water last.

The fourth image shows the results.

Step Twenty: last step, create the deeper waters. Similar to how you created the land shape in step one, you will create the deep water area, beyond the shallows, but closely following the contour of the coast line. You will be required to again, again use the Alt key, when you get to the edges of the map, to insure a clean, straight line.

Once the shape is closed, apply a darker blue from the Color Menu at the bottom of the screen. Select color to your taste of course. Rather than a harsh line between deep and shallows, you will apply a feather using the Feather slider at the top right of the screen.

Notice however, that the shallows are showing through. There are several ways to handle this. One way, is to create a narrow rectangle on the edges of the map, where it should still be deep water. Use this to hide the feather, with the same color as your feathered deep water object.

The other way to handle this is how we have to take the final exported map into GIMP or Photoshop and apply a crop to clean it off.

Anyway, the map is complete as far as Xara is concerned. Save the file in .xar format by going "File/Save As", so you can make edits later on. Now you want to export this map for useability. Go to "File/Export" and select your preferred file format, whether its BMP, JPG, PNG, whatever. Within the settings of the file format you can adjust color depth, resolution to whatever your needs.

The last image below shows the completed map, before export.

That's it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	4914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	4915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	4916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	4917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	4918  

Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Superb. These are some of the most realistic hand created terrain maps I have seen. Rep heading your way...

Post Thanks!

Thanks, Redrobes.

While I do like using 3D apps as well, Xara is so fast and easy to use, that I can really experiment with the look of the maps I work on, and I can create a 3D look with simple bevels, shadows and transparency. Add actual photos of terrain and the photo-realism just jumps off the page.

Because I am getting used to the workflow and the techniques, here. I created this tutorial map in less than an hour! It took much longer to input the tutorial here, than creating the map itself.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Simply superb, GP - you've taken this to a new level. I think we are the only ones who use Xara and Drawplus - hopefully your wonderful work will bring in others.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Well... I made a map using Xara... great tutorial, I had no troubles with any part of it ... except that my map was done very fast and is no where near the quality of yours... but I thought I would post it up and let you know at least one person followed it

I did have one question.. when you are using the freehand draw tool... what % do you use for the smoothing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tut.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	418.5 KB 
ID:	5005  

Post It depends...

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    I did have one question.. when you are using the freehand draw tool... what % do you use for the smoothing?
    I like to take down to almost 0 (the far left) except there's no smoothing and you might get jaggies, so I tend to up this to about 15 or so, depending on what I'm creating. For coastlines and rivers 15 is about right.

Nice job, but I see you had the smoothing nearly 100% - way too much, but nice first try, Del!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-07-2008 at 03:31 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Post One more thing...

Del, one more thing, you don't have to worry about pre-setting your smoothing level, just draw your object and close the shape. Let it default to whatever smoothing exists.

Before you do anything else, go to the smoothing slider and adjust downwards and watch the smoothing change "on the fly", lower it until you feel it looks right to you and there's your perfect smoothing setting.

Unfortunately, if you do something else like a fill or create another object, the smoothing is now set in the object and can't go back and smooth some more. You'll have to live with or draw the object again and follow the instructions above...

GP
    DrivethruRPG store