Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cooperative project revival

Ah ok i understand.

Standardization makes sense. What information would be expected? Would it be a checklist or a table or something?

It might be interesting to have overall values for things like populations etc. and then having mappers draw from the overall pool... No never mind that wouldn't work out logistically with people making maps at the same time.
    Last edited by Falconius; 11-21-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Info concerning population, races, type of government, ... that sort of things.
    These informations can be decided after mapping since we don't really need to know how power is transmitted or what is the legal status of slavery.
    Last edited by Azélor; 11-21-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am glad to see that people are once again taking an interest in the CWBP. It was a great project the first time and some truly incredible maps were made for it. I would be glad to offer my (meager) skills to this project with one or two (or three... ) caveats: I am not much of a "cartographer" meaning that I know nearly nothing about climatology or geology or things like that. I tend to bend space and time (and mountains and rivers) to what the story in my head is telling me. I would say that there needs to be room for everyone's personal interest. There should be vast cities and trackless deserts and flying machines and dragons. I know none of this is all that helpful but I think making the definitions as broad as possible will help create the most interesting world.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I'm not here very much these days but, for what its worth, I think this is a great project. Keep it up! Much love.
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

It's good to have support. Do you have any advices ?

Think its important to have the continuous terrain features (particularly rivers and mountains) mapped on the master map, so that you don't get too many mismatched tiles.
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Plan II for the project (suggested order):

1- Choosing the worldmap
    2- Choosing the setting (name + genre + era + important races + magic : yes/no? + RPG system + unique idea)
    3- Important thematic maps (rough version): tectonic plates, major winds, oceanic currents, climate zones, rainfall, (might take only one day to do)
    4- Determining important elements of the map: mountains, rivers,
    5- Placing major civilizations : cultural groups, naming convention (I agree to simplify this step because I guess that political borders do not always match cultural border so having a vague idea of the borders is enough to start mapping)
    6- Mapping process !?

7- Other thematic maps : economic, faith...
    8- Creating templates for descriptions
    Other world development steps ...

So the city placeemnt and naming is left to the mappers. So does the other elements such as forest. It's more complicated for the mountains since they might cover more than one map.

And no progress on plot choice.

And as I said about the map's plot choice, I think the best way is still the square plot.

I agree with the square plot. I'd still think that with an allowance to map anything inside of that area rather than mapping the whole area we'd get more interesting things happening. Quite likely we'd also have people also filling out whole plots too. Another thing. I noticed in the other CWBP they tried to do a specific area of the globe and get that all finished before moving on, I would definitely prefer that we give plots for the entire world and let people go to town. The entirety of the map may be incomplete but personally I don't see that as a goal, especially since more areas of the globe would be finished as opposed to a single continent or whatever.

Yes people could map things inside like city before the region is done but the top-down approach seems more logical.

About your other idea: I understand that the other project might have been slowed by limiting mappers to Ansium. At some point, it would have been a good idea to open more lands to work on. But I think it still important to try to focus on one zone until the focus becomes a problem. Otherwise, as stated by another member of the CWBP if it's too spread out it might not work that well.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast