Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Cooperative project revival

I think the main difference here is that I don't expect that everything will ever be mapped. I doubt even the majority of the world would be mapped. The top down approach makes sense if you are trying to accomplish a specific goal, but I feel that everyone participating will have vastly different approaches and interests and that their ultimate goals will be vastly different. The advantage of locking off a plot for someone to map whatever they choose allows both these ideals to be fulfilled, as if an area is locked off now one will be able to work with it until it's released with the new information, which will be incorporated into whatever map that follows. Frankly even edge information doesn't' have to be precises it you consider that this is not a modern world (most likely), these map makers operating in the world are flying by the seat of their pants, not satellite data.

To be honest I don't particularly care if it will work that well either, if nothing ever meets up it is entirely unimportant, and if they do meet up things can be easily dealt with. Worrying that it "might not work out well" seems to me to be worrying about a problem that is insurmountably unlikely and in any case not present as we start up. What I want is a world that people feel free to do with it what they will, I don't think the project will work any other way. Seeing as how the other project stalled and was never restarted I feel that following their formula and approach would be unwise unless we seek a similar state of ennui in the end.

It depend, if the scale is small enough we can expect all regions to be mapped, even the wasteland but these will probably have less informations/details. And when I mean locking sections of the world, I did not mean that they should be locked for months but just long enough so we can agree on some basic characteristics for the area.

I think the main reason the other project stalled was because of the spamming. A security problem we need to counter but my knowledge it this area is limited.

Hey, I just wanted to say that if people are interested; there are 7 free worlds available to create a collaborative project. They are free because it's a launch promotion.

TeriYeri.com

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Hey, I just wanted to say that if people are interested; there are 7 free worlds available to create a collaborative project. They are free because it's a launch promotion.

TeriYeri.com
    Really interesting site. Looking forward to trying it out.

Oh, I think I broke it. Definitely some pre-launch bugs to address.

One thing that might help...

Can an admin clean up and archive the threads related to the now defunct first CWB project? Maybe put them in their own subforum or something? Or move CWB2 threads into a subforum? Either way, it'd be nice to declutter the place. There are like... 10 stickied threads and a ton of old material that makes it hard to see which threads relate to our new project.

We are the one squatting their sub-forum. Though you are right, it would be interesting to have our sub-form as it might help people find the project but at the same time, the size of the project is still small.

To help find the project I added the tag '' cwbp 2 '' to all related topics.

Quote Originally Posted by modernhamlet View Post
    One thing that might help...

Can an admin clean up and archive the threads related to the now defunct first CWB project? Maybe put them in their own subforum or something? Or move CWB2 threads into a subforum? Either way, it'd be nice to declutter the place. There are like... 10 stickied threads and a ton of old material that makes it hard to see which threads relate to our new project.
    I was thinking the same thing. It would be really great if ALL the threads related to the old project were removed (not deleted, but archived), so just the new, relevant threads were visible here. When I first started looking in this forum, I was really confused. Took me quite a while to sort out what was what, etc. If everything wasn't cluttered together, other people (especially newer members) might find it easier to figure out what's going on and be more inclined to participate. Would also be a good idea to make a new (and sticky) introduction thread, with a complete overview of the project, how exactly people can/will participate, the various stages the project will take, and a note about the stage that it's currently at.

EDIT: I mentioned an introduction/overview because, to be honest, after all the reading I've done, I still only have a very vague idea of what this is all about and how it works...
    Last edited by Neyjour; 12-24-2013 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Hello. Due to the interest a lot of us had in the previous Cooperative World Building Project, and the fact that it has stalled indefinitely, we have decided to start a new one; aptly called Cooperative World Building Project 2 (CWBP 2). This project is currently just getting off the ground, nothing has been decided yet. So if you would like jump in the on the ground floor please do so. If'd you'd like to wait around for more definite information to be released feel free to do that also.

Here are our current threads dealing with CWBP 2:

Cooperative project revival
    In which we are discussing how to proceed with the project, our goals and the methods we want to use to achieve those goals.

CWBP 2 Deciding the map
    In which we are still determining the overall map in which we would like to build our world. Ignore the closed poll, the topic is still completely open for both new maps and discussion. We will arrange a new poll when it is felt we fleshed it out enough to take a new vote.

CWBP 2 : Determining the genre and era
    In which we are gathering input and trying to gauge peoples overall choice for the setting, era, magic level

Things we need to accomplish before we open up the world for mapping:
    1 & 2: Setting and World map
    a)Special interests and points regarding the setting or map
    b)Rough guidelines regarding important thematic maps, (tectonic plate, Major rivers etc.)

3: Refinement of the above into the conditions and levels we decide appropriate for informed map making.

4: Plots for mapping and our approach to project organization.

5: Mapping!

(this post is in no way determinative, just here to organize whats going on and to provide an overview. It will be edited as the project develops and further suggestions. I am in no way an organized person and outlines aren't my thing, so I apologize if it just makes things more confusing :p.)
    (I write my comment here to avoid spamming the other thread)

And don't forget that there is also a world to develop. World description should start before mapping and continue afterward. The description supports the mapping process and help to give him a purpose. To be honest, the world creation seems more interesting to me than the mapping process but I still intend to participate.

When I say world description I mean something in the lines of: The Forgotten realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, ... Just examples but it doesn’t need to be in dnd.

Ah, ok I wasn't at all considering it in that way. Don't know why.

It is an excessively complicated subject, I'll update the post when I figure how to lay it out more. I'm tired now though.

I agree with Azelor. The world level development is more interesting to me personally than regional mapping/development. I also think that good cooperative world level development would lead to more interesting regional development down the road.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast