Thread: Risk style map of 500AD Europe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Indeed, maybe I focused too much on historical accuracy. I'll join alemanii and Raetia togheter, add Frisii to the yellow region, call them Northern Germanic tribes, add Mauretania and tripolitania to the Vandal empire, lose Baleares as a region. Britain is most problematic though. I guess I'll have to join some of them at the cost of accuracy. However I don't think I'll add the Eastern-German regions. I have no idea how to call the regions or which tribe lived there at that time.

To address your balance suggestions I think the small regions don't give that much of a bonus (+1 isn't gonna make you win the game) and while Burgundy does give relatively more units than the visi-goth region, Burgundy is accessible from 7 other regions and the Visi-goths only from 5. Of course I could still reduce the accessibility of certain regions by adding impassible mountain, river and forest borders if needed. About Britain, Australia in the original risk also only has 1 way out. You usually play with random placement so you only being present in Britain is very rare and if you have the whole British Isles a mere 3 neutral units isn't gonna keep you locked in.
    The conflicting areas are a good idea though. Franks could get a bonus if they hold all of France, Byzantines if they hold Armenia and Sassanids if they hold Palestine, Syria and eastern Turkey.

As per my outline, here is my version of the Risk Board
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Risk500AD.jpg 
Views:	1377 
Size:	574.3 KB 
ID:	57376