Thread: [Region 1][Map 09][Town 01] Darkovia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post The perspective is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    Just a quibble.

The perspective between the castle on the mountain and the town seems off to me. The village is about a 3/4 view, but the castle is almost straight on. Just a thought. Love the idea though.
    If you look at the first page of this thread you will see the 3D rendered view of the town level which I started with to reference in my hand-drawn version. Because the main town and surrounding walls are a flat plane, the differences in perspective is not as noticeable.

What I didn't show in the WIPs was the 3D rendered view of the town with a rough of the mountain, the road on the mountain (to maintain flat road surface without tilt around curves yet continuously rising), and the castle on top.

The 3D rendered view has the exact same perspective as in the drawing above. If you look at the towers on the walls surrounding the town, notice how the tilt of the towers on the west side lean to left, while the eastside leans to the right. The center towers are fairly verticle.

This is not a completely isometric point-of-view, its a 3D conical camera view at slightly above the height of the castle itself, therefore the castle is almost viewed at a horizontal perspective.

Creating a map based on true perspective angles, not typical aerial view nor a typical isometric view, in a hand-drawn style was my goal in this entry.

I'm working on the detailing of the mountains and castle tonight, perhaps I'll post tonight, otherwise sometime tomorrow, before close of entry period.

GP

PS: here's a very rough sketch of what I mean by camera angle, this drawing is crude even for me, but it should get the point across. Think of your eye as the camera, and you see what it sees, got it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cameraview.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	4966  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations