Thread: [Region 1][Map 09][Town 01] Darkovia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Very nice. I smell another badge/compass thingy coming your way...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip Never count on that!

I never count on a definite win, especially with Rav's and RLucci's, among other great entries this month!

OK, I've drawn and scanned the mountain, access road, Castle Darkov and a few other structures to ornament the moutain side. Still needs to be colored in, but so far so good.

I think I'll add a few structures on the unwalled area south of the bridge - the commoners and lower class districts. And just hint at the environs surrounding the town of Darkovia.

WIP so far...

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darkov-wip.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	469.6 KB 
ID:	4961  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

This is looking fantastic GP. I really like the font for the title. Is it a pre-made font or is it homemade?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Post Not home-made

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    This is looking fantastic GP. I really like the font for the title. Is it a pre-made font or is it homemade?

Torq
    Not that I can't create my own font design, but no this is Dreamscar a free TrueType font from Acidfonts.com.

I like using it for undead and wizardly maps.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Its really very pretty GP.

I can understand what you used the render for but the highest compliment I can give you is that it has gotten better the more it was in your hands and the more it left the 3d app.

Nice feel.

Very convenient shape for a the bounds of the picture - but very nice feel.

Sigurd

Wip Almost done!

I may add some finishing details, don't know what that may be yet. Otherwise I am mostly done with this entry. I was thinking of labeling several of the major structures in town - Bloodstone Inn, Gemcutters Guildhall, Blood Swords (mercs of the Bloodstone trade), Mayor's residence and town courts, Abbey of Withered Light, and a few other locations.

The uncolored mountains behind the town and structures south of the town will remain uncolored.

And thanks Sigurd - yeah, I only used the render for maintaining perspective, I can get more detail faster by hand, then 3D modeling - it just makes for an easy work-around.

WIP so far...

Name:	darkov-wip.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	635.6 KB 
ID:	4962  
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Completed!

Unless I think of anything else, I believe I am now finished with this map.

I didn't like the undetailed background, and I thought this map needed trees, so as a cheat, rather than drawing a thousand trees, I placed silohuette (however you spell that) layers of pine on a mountain side with areas of tranparency between to simulate a fog effect. I threw on the border just to frame it out.

Final Map... GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	darkovia.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	4963  
    DrivethruRPG store