Thread: Very first map attempt!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beautiful concept if I maybe so bold to suggest the shape dynamic fade for rivers it would make it even more spectacular in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ukie View Post
    Beautiful concept if I maybe so bold to suggest the shape dynamic fade for rivers it would make it even more spectacular in my opinion.
    I am TOTALLY brand new to this whole deal. Do you have a tutorial for that effect you can point me to, or perhaps an example I can see with a few pointers? I'm using photoshop (very familiar with the program - despite never making maps with it before). I'm always up for trying new things - especially bold new things!

I just sent you a PM with the brush description. I hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by ukie View Post
    I just sent you a PM with the brush description. I hope it works.
    Yep. Got it. I unfortunately don't have a wacom yet, but I will toy around with the settings to see if I can make it work and look good with the mouse. I agree though that the fade looks awesome on rivers. I've seen a few maps where the narrow down slowly to the source and it looks just awesome. I'll attempt to get that look if possible. Thanks for the suggestion!

Wip New update!

Okay so I got the rivers in mostly how I want them. Not sure if I'm loving the texture effect or not - but I really won't be able to tell until I start getting in the terrain details. Here is an update of the map (minus the region text, border accent, and other aesthetic details that will be on the final map). It's mostly just a focused view of the setup for the water network: ocean, sea, lakes, rivers, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CotFS World Map v2-03.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	57551

And here is the same view, but with an overlay of a Mediterranean Topographic map - so you can get an idea of how and why I chose my river network:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CotFS World Map v2-04.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	57552

Keep in mind that the large inland sea is fed supernaturally from another dimension (an semi-ethereal plain of water high in the atmosphere). Once I start getting mountains and elevations defined I'll better be able to define the river sources (as some of the major rivers coming out of the primary inland sea are spring sourced, rather than overland flowing).

I gave that fade dynamic a try and with a little experimentation I really came to love it! Anyone have advice for mountain brush styles? This map is a large portion of the world - so I'm debating on just using color/texture/lighting, or actually defining mountain ranges symbolically with calligraphic style brushwork that's not actually to scale.

Feedback would be lovely!

I like it. lots of colors is much better.