Thread: Very first map attempt!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thank you both for the input on the river system. I'll need to go back and readjust a few things to get those right.

The part that makes it tricky is that without the mountains and highlands/lowlands defined it's not going to make a whole lot of sense. Since this map is meant to be Europe and the Mediterranean area before the advent of a global flood, I intend on making the landscape drastically different. I'll explain some terrain details I theorized so you've got a better scope of what I'm trying to accomplish.

The highest mountain range on the map will be the Soaring Peaks (which is a massive circular mountain range surrounding the Soaring Sea). This is the highest point of this fictional world. During the global deluge, the weight of the water above the Soaring Sea causes it to collapse in on a massive network of caves and caverns that exist below it, causing the whole region to drop in elevation by several thousand feet. But before that, the soaring sea is actually about seven thousand feet above sea level, held in by the taller mountain range surrounding it (most peaks are well above 10 thousand feet).

The Soaring Sea is actually fed supernaturally from another realm (the Plane of Ćther Mist - which is also how the giant canopy of water over the earth is being suspended). The Soaring Sea then feeds the rest of the known world via four outlet rivers. Only the Southwest river flows from the brim of the Sea down a series of waterfalls to the lake and valley below. The other three rivers come from underground sources (where the Sea is leaking out from the bottom - this erosion eventually causes the entire Sea to break free from the mountain range... which occurs when the water canopy falls and the Sea is extremely overfed).

I hope that explains why the Soaring Sea appears on my map as some ridiculous source of water.

But your comments were not lost on me. I do believe I'm going to route the Northwestern river above the present day Carpathian Mts. Just to make it look a bit more clear. All of it should look better when my Mountains, Highlands, and Lowlands are visibly defined. Also without knowing the terrain and the mythological/supernatural parts about the story it involves - its definitely looks weird. Especially if it's compared to our present day topography - which will be vastly different than the fictional pre-flood topography I'm envisioning.

Thank you both very much for the advice and suggestions. I'll be extra careful to make the downward, one-outlet liquid dynamics visibly clear on the map. (I had a feeling I was going to get some questions about the changes I made to the present-day water network; but that's good. Need to flesh these things out.) I appreciate the feedback!
    Last edited by Veluux; 08-24-2013 at 02:02 AM.