Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP]railroad/transit system/map in fictional slavic world

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

... I think I have just come up with an idea for a tutorial... hmm, be right back

In the meanwhile, what software do you have or can get your hands on?
    That's very generous of you! Extremely generous. Yes i have been looking at photos like that as well and kind of figuring out how i could use them. But i must be blinded by all the tutorials, since im not a PS expert either.

Photoshop i use photoshop CS5. I also have gimp i guess and inkscape!

I don't know if this tutorial that I just finished is what you needed, as I might have gotten side tracked. But at the very least you are mentioned in it...

Hope it helps:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=31586

Wow. Extremely helpful tutorial! Will definitely use this as reference to continue with the map. Thank you ever so much pixie!!

No problem

Keep sharing your stuff and improvements. By the way, since you want to make a railroad/transportation map - have you ever played Rail Road Tycoon 3? It has an inbuilt editor that allows to make cool in-game maps in 3D, and the best part is that you can start with a DEM file.

No problem

Keep sharing your stuff and improvements. By the way, since you want to make a railroad/transportation map - have you ever played Rail Road Tycoon 3? It has an inbuilt editor that allows to make cool in-game maps in 3D, and the best part is that you can start with a DEM file.
    I have actually. But i dont have it anymore. The whole concept was to try and build an original concept world starting from an unconventional angle. Making a railroad map from it i think is beyond me and scrapped. Having that said, the map is still going to be finished but as a reference to the world obviously

I don't know if this tutorial that I just finished is what you needed, as I might have gotten side tracked. But at the very least you are mentioned in it...

Hope it helps:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=31586
    I have one question, I downloaded a bunch of DEM images but how do i open them up in photoshop cs5?.. File extensions i've got "BLW" and "HDR". Somehow photoshop does not support them. Should i have checked something from the "Earthexplorer" site?

Thanks, O.

You don't open DEM's in Photoshop, open in QGIS ( a free GIS software), open a raster layer DEM and make a Hillshade, then save as a jpeg or other file Photoshop uses. You may need to take a look at the QGIS manual tutorials to get a quick grasp of it. I'm sure others on this site are know more, but this is my basic understanding and use.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    You don't open DEM's in Photoshop, open in QGIS ( a free GIS software), open a raster layer DEM and make a Hillshade, then save as a jpeg or other file Photoshop uses. You may need to take a look at the QGIS manual tutorials to get a quick grasp of it. I'm sure others on this site are know more, but this is my basic understanding and use.
    I followed the tutorial and the steps explain as such: "From this point on, you can start opening the heightmaps you just downloaded. Worrying only about the
    general shape and direction of the mountains and/or of the slopes, copy bits and paste them on your file"

I needed wilbur and photoshop. Is it perhaps wilbur i have to open them in?

Blog Entries

I have one question, I downloaded a bunch of DEM images but how do i open them up in photoshop cs5?.. File extensions i've got "BLW" and "HDR".

use qgis
    but qgis will use GDAL a terminal text based program

basically for converting formats qgis is just a GUI got GDAL
    http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs...bsq_files.html

a hdr is only the header for the image data ( a short text description of the data )

now DEMS are 16 bit signed data ( pixel values from -32767 to +32768 )
    now saving it to a 8 bit jpg ( values 0,255 ) you will loose a LOT of data
    also JPG is what is called a LOUSY !!! image format
    the compression tosses information in the trash can and ADDS!!!! ARTIFICIAL !!!! ARTIFACTS !!! that are NOT in the original data

it is a VERY VERY VERY bad choice for height data
    -- very bad choice

save it a a 32 bit tiff ( no compression !! ) image
    photoshop can open that
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    use qgis
    but qgis will use GDAL a terminal text based program...

...a hdr is only the header for the image data ( a short text description of the data )
    I see. Before i start again then, could i have prevented that with saving the DEMs in other formats, or do i still need that program?

Because the tutorial doesn't mention anything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast