Thread: Newbie Region Map

Wip Newbie Region Map

So, this is my 2nd attempt at a map and I was mainly looking for a bit of advice on it. I started following Tear's Saderan tutorial, but I had trouble getting the mountains to look as pronounced/raised as they do on the tutorial instead of like blobs, so I switched tactics and went for mountain brushes instead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mist-Map-v6.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	75863

My current concern is that this area of the world is meant to have most of civilization living on raised land and plateaus in the areas marked by the mountains on the map. I'm just unsure on how to represent plateaus or raised elevation since it's a big deal for the storyline of this world. Should I mark out the plateaus/high ground separately somehow and separate them from the lower land? Or do you think the mountains are enough to represent that?

If your mountains are in a separate layer, you could erase the very top of the mountain/hill off after painting it with the brush.

Hand draw your plateau top in perspective, and there ya go You could even draw settlement/building symbols on top of your plateaus.

Just an idea. Hope it helps
    Map is looking good, keep it up

The style you are using results in a false-hand-drawn map. Normally, the brushes available only have mountains. So, if you want to keep this style, you will have to up your hand drawing skills. I think you can post a request in the "How-To" section for help with drawing plateaus and the amazing artists in here will drop by to give you a hand.

By the way, color balance, landmass shape and mountains placement look very good!