Quote Originally Posted by Llannagh View Post
I would suggest that you work on the coastline first. At the moment it looks unnaturally smooth and follows the border of your sheet too much. I did the same thing with my first map, too. You should reduce the landmass and give it a more natural shape, epecially if the scale is that big.

Once the coastline has a natural flow to it, it's easier to work out the mountains, since it gives you a better idea of how the tectonics might work. From there you can work on the rivers.

I always like to have a look at Google Earth to get a grip on certain landmass-shapes or terrain features.
Actually, that's exactly what I did. Even though this part is only a corner of the continent, I agree it does look rather rectangular. However, once you zoom out to this scale, coasts become a lot smoother. The quality is a bit too **** to tell, but the coast actually has a lot of micro variations. With that said, after looking at it from your view, I definitely will add some more macro variations to the coast as well (specifically on the southern coast).

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by leen View Post
i suggest you have a look at this thread: how-get-your-rivers-right-place

it seems that you don't have any mountains yet. start with the mountains (of course after you've set the landmass), they determine pretty much form rivers to climate!

cheers!
I just had a look at the link and that's almost exactly what I did. I made a post before I started drawing the map and someone shared a link very similar to that one. I knew I shouldn't have uploaded such a low quality photo... I actually have 6 mountain ranges. Regardless, that link you shared had a few things the other didn't so it gave me a few things to think about (specifically wells/springs and water tables). I'm fairly confident my rivers are accurate enough at this point, but I will almost certainly make a few more changes before I start laying down the region borders and populations.

Thanks for your help!