Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Earen - A Work In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Wow, this is looking very beautiful indeed. I love the desert and rocky regions.
    The only thing that I'm not too fond of are the icons you seem to be using for cities etc. which look too computer generated compared to the rest of the map.

Great work.
    Any suggestions for the symbols?

Blog Entries

Umm, personally I would say that maybe the symbols are ok, or something similar (they are a bit small to see) but I would lose the colour on them and go for a brown, or sepia tone outline, so they kinda fit in with the very artistic hand-drawn look.

But I dunno, that's just me of course.

Is it possible to post a higher res version so we can see it closer? I'd love to get a detailed look at your artwork.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Glad your back to finish this, the artistic quality is very high. I'd lose the CC3 icons (for the cities) and draw something up...you could use the icons as a starting point and draw something over top of them. At any rate, this is one fine lookin map and I wish I had it in me to do likewise...excellent stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great to see this thread again. I'd agree with the symbols - they don't fit with the style of the map. I'd suggest drawing in a new city symbol yourself using your own colour palette from the map. I'd also give them a shadow to integrate them into the image.

It sucks to have lost the interactive version as that was just lovely. Certainly looking forward to seeing this finished (however long that will take )

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Umm, personally I would say that maybe the symbols are ok, or something similar (they are a bit small to see) but I would lose the colour on them and go for a brown, or sepia tone outline, so they kinda fit in with the very artistic hand-drawn look.

But I dunno, that's just me of course.

Is it possible to post a higher res version so we can see it closer? I'd love to get a detailed look at your artwork.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...3&d=1215754274
    hows that? as for the symbols they are from cc3

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Glad your back to finish this, the artistic quality is very high. I'd lose the CC3 icons (for the cities) and draw something up...you could use the icons as a starting point and draw something over top of them. At any rate, this is one fine lookin map and I wish I had it in me to do likewise...excellent stuff.
    thanks! i tried doign that but nothing worth showing came up so i quickly discarded it
    Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Great to see this thread again. I'd agree with the symbols - they don't fit with the style of the map. I'd suggest drawing in a new city symbol yourself using your own colour palette from the map. I'd also give them a shadow to integrate them into the image.

It sucks to have lost the interactive version as that was just lovely. Certainly looking forward to seeing this finished (however long that will take )
    only if time would allow, with writing the story, uni, work i barely have time but i will give it a try if not... if anyone could pinpoint me to a good set of symbols or anyone willing to contribute a set for my map i would greatly appreciate it.

i cooked something up, let me know what yo think of the new style for the towns and cities. let me know what you think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earen3.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	14179  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

They seem nice, but its such a small image that it is difficult to tell.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    They seem nice, but its such a small image that it is difficult to tell.
    i want to keep it small almost to make it blend in with the map but i changed a few things to make sure that eve though it is small it kind of out stands in the map without loosing the hand drawn feeling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earen3.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	14194  

Blog Entries

He means that the map you are posting is so small it is hard to see. Is there any way to post a larger version of the map so we can see it better? I really like this map and would love to be able to see more details on it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I've gotta agree. It's a great looking map, and the new symbols look pretty good and seem to fit with the over all style, but the size screams for a larger resolution!

If one isn't available, eh, oh well, it's still good looking.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast