Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Earen - A Work In Progress

unfortunately there isn't, when i started the map the size seemed ideal, small enough to hide any inperfections and big enough to allow it appreciate a certain degree of detail... i guess i was wrong, but i will keep this in mind for future maps, ill keep posting as i advance with the map and the story for my book.

ok guys last night iwas sleepless so i decided to expand earen, as i was writing i noticed that the map is short and it lack fantastic places, since i am basing things from many cultures (greek- (special interest in the maenads who will be female "warriors" who channel the energy of spirits (called sylphs in most of earen) of chaos, that estimulates beyond belief their basic instincts and their lust for violance among other things . Scandinavian and all those Nordic tales about fairies and elves and so on...

anyways here is a draft of the expansion.... any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earenexpanded.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	14219  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I only have one suggestion...git crackin! This looks like it could be epic and would surely earn you a nice shiny "Cartographer's Choice" badge. With all of that epicness the cities are gonna have to be larger, though, so that they don't get lost. Don't worry if they don't fit the overall scale of the map, mine never do and most never do. A big ole city lookin thing is there to tell people that there is a city somewhere around there, not its actual size according to the rest of the terrain. Good luck man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I only have one suggestion...git crackin! This looks like it could be epic and would surely earn you a nice shiny "Cartographer's Choice" badge. With all of that epicness the cities are gonna have to be larger, though, so that they don't get lost. Don't worry if they don't fit the overall scale of the map, mine never do and most never do. A big ole city lookin thing is there to tell people that there is a city somewhere around there, not its actual size according to the rest of the terrain. Good luck man.
    hows the ones on the top? if that doesn't work ill go with a warcraft feel if that doesn't work ill just put dots.

Name:	earenexpanded.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	14242  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well if you want to go that warcraft way then I'd say that it's a pretty popular way to go for a parchment map. The two buildings that are above the words "Old Keep" are perfect so I'd stay with that painterly style. The round keep with turret just under said text is just a tad small...just a tad. The cities are just too small to make out any detail as to what they are.
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-19-2009 at 12:07 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Well if you want to go that warcraft way then I'd say that it's a pretty popular way to go for a parchment map. The two buildings that are above the words "Old Keep" are perfect so I'd stay with that painterly style. The round keep with turret just under said text is just a tad small...just a tad. The cities are just too small to make out any detail as to what they are.
    updated version... the forest has been extended... in Galeah (the central kingdom of my story) they call it the endless forest since no one has ever made it back once the enter. Only record of people ever coming back to the north was once and it was a caravan over 40 years ago.

Name:	earenexpanded.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	14290  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I assume it's the texture you're using as the parchment base, but whatever texture it is that's on most of the empty landmass space is tiling pretty poorly. You can see the seams, particularly on the bottom edge of each tiled piece. It's less obvious where land features cover it up, but there are still a few spots where you can see it.

I hope that doesn't seem nitpicky, it's just one of things I tend to see, because I've had similar problems in the past (and no doubt will continue to have them in the future).
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by Alecthar View Post
    I assume it's the texture you're using as the parchment base, but whatever texture it is that's on most of the empty landmass space is tiling pretty poorly. You can see the seams, particularly on the bottom edge of each tiled piece. It's less obvious where land features cover it up, but there are still a few spots where you can see it.

I hope that doesn't seem nitpicky, it's just one of things I tend to see, because I've had similar problems in the past (and no doubt will continue to have them in the future).
    every time you nitpick god kills a cartographer, i see your point but i like some things faulty

updated version i am not sure about the shape of the mountains at the bottom of the endless forest...

Name:	earenexpanded.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	14402  

any input on the last update for some reason i am starting to like less and less the bottom part... any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast