Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Skenth - The known world.

Yea that sort of climate arrangement also makes a good bit of sense! Its awesome you are so interested in my map. I'll give you a PM!

Ah right, I think I need to make a 5th post before my PN function activates. There, it's done. =D

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Hi guys,

Hey guys, I must say that this is one of the most beautiful maps I've ever seen in my life, and, at my age, I've seen a lot of maps. A gorgeous work of art.

I'm running a Pathfinder campaign set in Middle-earth on one of the RPG forums, and your map has given me not only goose-bumps, but inspiration for starting a whole new campaign based on your map and kingdoms, if, Sir, I could have your permission to do so.

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all or anything, but I looked up "league" in the dictionary and it said that a league can be anywhere from 2.4 to 4.6 statute miles, depending on which country you're referencing. Also, I've read where 1 league equals the distance an average person can walk in 1 hour, which would be approximately 3 miles, and averaging the dictionary's two distances out, that would seem to be correct. So, dividing any "mileage" distance by 3 would give you the "league" distance. It's what I use in my campaign. Hope this helps.

Ciao,
    John
    Last edited by Dragon-Wolf; 09-18-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Really amazing. I hope I can one day achieve a work of art made with this quality and detail.

Thank you Justin! It just takes a lot of time and practice I guess

Thank you John!
    You're very kind and I'm glad you appreciate the map! I just made up the Madenskan league to suit what I wanted to use the map from. I recognize it is kind of an awkward measurement which would only see much use in large distances. The story goes that the league was the distance between two points that an emporer's flagship was able to travel in a 24 hours which it later took one of his land armies five days to travel. Perhaps in future maps I will use a more traditional and usable league like you've suggested.

If you are happy to use the images at the size I've provided them here I grant you permission to do so for your online campaign so long as you use it for non-commercial purposes of course! I also would really love to follow a long if you could provide a link perhaps! If you want I can give you a rough overview of what I had in mind for the setting as I was producing it. I would just hold off using the map as I need to make a few slight updates.
    Last edited by Viking; 09-19-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

i not found in you WIP how you get so amazing colors for the ocean, coasts and the surface

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I have presented the map in three images all of which have been reduced in terms of resolution from the working size to something suited for the Internet and this website.
    Is there any way you could give us a link to a full resolution version of this map? It's so beautiful and it's a shame we cannot fully appreciate all the details together.

Aquartis: I may try to make a painting guide at some point. Colour choice comes from experience but one thing I can say is that it is good to avoid overly saturated colours and play with the medium and less saturated values and hues. Also, shadows contain colour so many of the mountains do not have purely black shadows but have colours in them. That is true for most of the shading actually.

Almajis: Hi Almajis, thank you! I don't have any current plans to release a full resolution version of this map online freely though I may try selling some prints.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I may try to make a painting guide at some point.

Oh my, this is an amazing work of art. Well done!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast