Thread: Good program for modern day/future map making?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I use Xara Designer Pro 9, though Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 is a much less expensive app ($89) that can everything for maps the flagship product does (and it does a lot more than maps, web design and more...) I use Xara to create all my maps, map objects, page layouts for RPG publications creating print ready PDF files for big printing houses to produce from. Of course I create hand-drawn/digital hybrids and completely photo-realistic maps (2 very different styles) with the same application, including futuristic maps, starship deck plans and more. Its not free like GIMP or Inkscape, but very powerful with features that neither of those Open Source applications can do or match. I prefer it to all other software, and as a graphic designer I am very familiar with Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP, and many other applications I use on a daily basis in my studio/print shop. Xara is a vector program like Inkscape.

Here's a sci-fi map design I created not long ago with the finished product posted in the Finished Maps forum - Space Marine Planetary Dropship deck plan using Xara... link here

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-04-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations