Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner ] Creating an old-school map in Gimp.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Can you post the .xcf file here and I'll take a look? You'll need to compress it first to a zip file. If you don't have an archive utility then email it over to me at jonathan@fantasticmaps.com and I'll open it up and see what's going wrong. Gimp has it's quirks so you should never feel bad when things don't go quite right. It can be a little fiddly.

OK Now got the doors moving as required - I had to Unlock the floating layer on the layers dialog and then it allowed me to move the door to the desired location. Tutorial continues.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I thought it might be a layers issue. Glad you got that sorted out. The lone square still sounds odd. I'd definitely like to take a look at the file for that.

NP will send the file in a minute. Work has continued for a bit:- I am definitely getting the impression now that the tute is NOT for total nubs in this arena. If you want you could treat my...bloopers as additions for the tutorial:

Latest is as follows:- the grab handle for the door grapic is actually pretty small, and I found that it was much easier to do the door placement when zoomed WAY in to the screen. Also when anchoring the doors using the anchor icon, to what am I anchoring them? It appears I have to have the Doors layer directly below the floating layer icon, whereupon the door will be anchored to same. Is this similar to the merge layers command? I appear to have accidentally added some doors to my Walls Layer earlier.

Email to follow with the graphic for the map but one other point: in the bottom left just above the single room, there is a spot where an internal wall could be placed, however after accidentally placing the internal wall in the Doors layer, I cannot seem to delete all traces of the wall which was placed there. For the moment I am leaving that spot blank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon 1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	28217  

Praise Finished!

At last - nothing fancy but enough that I can narrate the journey through the dusty corridors, and expand and run encounters when the party gets to the appropraite parts of the map! Thanks for the Tutorial Torstan - I hope to continue my own journey into Gimp and hopefully fingers crossed I'll get better as I go along. It really is a matter of being constantly aware of Layer in which I am working, and where I'm placing stuff at the time.

Name:	Dungeon 1a.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	28218  
    Last edited by Sheelon666; 08-20-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Screenie added

Also did this one using Excel with a little messing about with Autoshapes.

Name:	Yorvik.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	28220  

Quote Originally Posted by Sheelon666 View Post
    Also did this one using Excel with a little messing about with Autoshapes.
    Dude. thats just sick. Nice, but sick...lol
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I never thought of using Excel for a drawing program. I have no idea why I never thought of it because I use it all the time for other things. That is me not thinking outside the box!

Stormie

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That anyone gets anything done at in EXCEL at all is a miracle in itself. I absolutely HATE that program.
    For me it's more of an abomination than MS-Paint

So kudos to you for creating something useful with it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for this great tutorial, even if it brings painful memories from the ruins of Undermountain...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast