Quote Originally Posted by James Potter-Brown View Post
Just a question in case anyone sees this and can fill me in... Does MapTools recognise different layers in a drawing, or can in recognise doors, etc? Though I'm sure I'd discover the answer with a bit of playing around, right now I can't work out how it does that

Thanks!
I am not quite sure what you are asking about MapTool. If you are asking if MapTool can take a target file(a multi layer Gimp xcf or Photoshop psd, etc file) and have each layer in the source image on a separate layer in MapTool, the answer is no, and it never will. Nor can it "split" elements from a single source image into separate "things" within the software itself.

MapTool has 4 "layers currently, and it is entirely depending upon whoever builds the campaign maps within MapTool to separate things as needed for the game onto the correct layer.

MapTool specifics:

1. Typically, non movable things such as floors walls, etc should typically be placed on the Background Layer.
  2. Things that are movable(and/or breakable) such as chairs, tables, etc should should typically be placed upon the "Object" layer. The GM can then show/hide items individually as needed within MapTool's UI.
  3. Things that are hidden by default should go onto the "hidden" layer(though there is another option in the UI to make specific "tokens" visible on a per "object" basis you could use instead. ( RARELY ever use the hidden layer and go this other route most of the time))
  4. Creatures of any sort will go onto the "Token" layer.

Within MapTool, if you wish to follow this approach, you will either need to design your maps following this thought process approach. I know in many(if not all) of Torstan's purchasable map packs, he followed this approach and created the base "background" and included numerous "items" as separate files which could then be placed upon the Object layer as needed to "complete the picture so to speak".