Thread: [Award Winner ] Creating an old-school map in Gimp.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How's that for you?
    Definitely close enough to start with; I can take it from there to get it exactly where I need it (more plate-blot/paper-bleed, mainly, to complement the grain and insure that no elements lose legibility).

Thanks very much. I like the look of Gimp, I just need to set aside a work-week sometime and immerse myself in it, get the feel of the controls ...

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well Gimp has noise (in Filter->Render->Clouds->Plasma), blur (Filters->Blur->... lots of options here) and contrast adjusters, though what you probably want is threshold (Colours->Threshold).

A combination of these would give a more fine-grained control over the end result than the crude selection distort I used above. In fact, you'd probably be able to carry the same method over from photoshop with no problem.

When you do throw yourself into Gimp I'll be happy to provide whatever pointers I can, and others here will do the same I'm sure.

Torstan - Rep coming your way. Really appreciate the time that you took with this.

Question: Is there an easy way (other than going in and manually erasing throughout) of stopping the grid lines just short of the walls?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yes definitely.

In your xcf file you should have a number of layers, one of which contains your walls. Now what you need to do is right click that layer -> Alpha to Selection. That should now have all your walls selected. Go to Select->Grow and pick a number of pixels. This number will be the number of pixels that the grid stops at before it hits the wall - essentially your padding. Here I used 5 pixels:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	padding.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	5139

Now create a new layer and move it between the walls layer and the grid layer:

Name:	padding2.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	5140

With this layer selected, fill your selection with white (Edit->Fill with background colour if you have white as your background colour, or ctrl-. for quick). This should give you a nice white padding around your walls:

Name:	map9.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	5141

Glad it was helpful.