Thread: [Award Winner ] Creating an old-school map in Gimp.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer MadCartographer's Avatar

Here is me trying my hand at your Tut. Using CC3.

I hope you like it. BTW, thanks for the tut, well done!

_________
    User of:
    CC2 & CC3, FT Pro Exclusively.
    If it's ProFantasy, I'm using it.

Default thanks! and question

Thanks very much for this useful tutorial. It's helping me render my hand-drawn beauties into, well, better-drawn beauties!

Still, I do have a question. I'm using the current version of GIMP (2.6.11), which seems to have some differences to it. I'm stuck at the point of trying to add doors to my map. I've got a third layer ('doors'), I've got your 'doors2.png' saved to the clipboard, and am able to paste it to the center of the canvas, but I am unable to move the darned thing. This is undoubtedly my own incompetence, as I have very little familiarity with any of these computer-generated art programs. But it's a bit frustrating. I've clicked the 'rectangle select tool' from the toolbox, and when I hover over the door image that appears in the center of the map, I get an anchor and a small square with 'marching ants' (as you called it), but no move arrows. If I click it just inserts in the center of the canvas.

I'd appreciate any help from you pros!

thanks,

Geleg

edit: I read Sheelon666's posts on the previous page and they mirrored my problems. His fix of zooming in has helped me finally grab ahold of the door icon and move it. I may have solved my own problem. Thanks anyway!
    Last edited by Geleg; 02-17-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: partly helped myself

Guild Applicant

This thread is all kinds of awesome! Thank you very much for taking the time to post it for us newbies.

Peace
    Jester

This looks like a great tutorial! Does anyone know if it will work with Photoshop?