Thread: July Challenge: The four Haskwood Canifers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Ok so then I made the bar and put some doors into all the holes I made for them. As somebody mentioned on another thread (Toff?) these doors need to be thinner than the walls by a considerable margin so I have made some chamfered door frame and put a simple door into it. I know I should add the doors as separate objects in the scene editor but I am lazy and I can edit these out later anyway. A 3D editor is not a VTT after all.

So a few more WIPs showing the staircase - you can see how its made of individual steps. And the bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render3.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	497.3 KB 
ID:	5122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render5.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	726.2 KB 
ID:	5123  

I really do hope you're going to change the textures soon...I'm expecting John Travolta to come out on to that floor any moment now....

Too much wine, but the thought of John Travolta doing his Saturday Night Fever dance in a Tavern full of half-orcs just gave me the giggles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I really do hope you're going to change the textures soon...I'm expecting John Travolta to come out on to that floor any moment now....
    Ohhh I am seeing a vision of doing an animation... one involving a mirror ball and bullseye lanterns....

Well I have been busy... Here are some more textured and lit versions. This is getting closer to where its currently stood w.r.t indoor main hall.

Name:	Render7.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	5124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render8.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	432.0 KB 
ID:	5125  

Blog Entries

Now I gotta say I am having trouble understanding the lighting in that last image. The torches don't seem to be lighting up the pillar they are attached to and that the light is going through them and lighting up the opposite side. Also the light flare from the rear torch is showing even though its behind the pillar but I think that is a bug in the app - or maybe an unticked option on my part.

As usual, the textures come from cgtextures.com and I made them (moderately) seamless in the usual way. Its all a bit too clean at mo but whether it will allow me to dirty it up enough I don't know yet. That would be easy to do in 2D but wheres the fun in that eh ?

It still needs some pillars holding up the elevated floor and more decoration. Some of that should be easy but it would be easier in 2D for sure. This is where doing it in 3D starts to hurt.

Hmm you may need to ramp up the reflection on the pillars a bit and to make the lighting work to a squared range (it may be infinite).

It's looking really good RR!

Blog Entries

I think your absolutely right. I am sitting here staring at it. I think the app is doing its thing correctly but it looks like a linear drop off not squared. The tops of the pillars are black because the angle to the light is acute. In real life there would be more light there because the distance to light is small. So small distance acute angle beats long distance normal angle. As is, the program is lighting up the pillars opposite because the angle is normal. I think the drop off should make that less well lit than its showing. I don't know if I can control the light drop off but ill check. Maybe use a smaller drop off distance and up the brightness might do a similar effect even if linear.

Still think the light flare is a bug tho

Blog Entries

I might as well catch you up with the state of play outside too. So these will be the final WIPs tonight as this is where I am at so far.

The first shows the latest image (first so that its my latest WIP image). So talking about the second first... I have put a roof on it and got some tiled texture on that. I also put in the stable doors and sorted that out.

The first image shows the windows put in. Also done the fence posts. Was going to use the same texture for the posts as Fentor Cross church but it was evil trying to get the texture to line up exactly on all of the posts. I dunno maybe its working in imperial and rounding errors crept in. It wouldn't align to them so I used a procedural wood texture in the end.

The bushes are just spheres, jittered and textured with some hedge I saw the other day when out for a walk. So they are a bit weak but ill live with that for a while as the rest of the inn needs more love than the hedge.

I did a quick top down render and then imported that into ViewingDale. Then I use multiple bits of ground texture to build up a 2D image. Then saved that out and used that as an overall covering. Touched up the path with a bit of lightness added in a raster editor thats all.

Tables cloned from indoors and there we go. Pleased with that as the challenge is about the top down cut aways so theres no need to go mad over the outside I think.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Render10.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	717.9 KB 
ID:	5127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render6.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	5128