Thread: Newbie from CA

Default Newbie from CA

Hey everyone! Excited to join the forum and learn from others!

I still prefer hand drawn maps, but I would love to learn more about software options.

I am a D&D guy from way back-- almost always the DM, and the map making was always my favorite part.

Here are a few of my maps-- all feedback is welcome!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alaria Color.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	437.5 KB 
ID:	55572

Name:	Elven Sulador.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	55573

Name:	Haunted Quarry.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	55574

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi there and welcome to the guild
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the Guild geektom! Great retro style maps, brings me back to my early teen RPG years. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hello everyone. Hi Geektom. I am also a DnD geek from California. I have played DnD for 19 years now. I started in 2nd edition, loved 3rd and 3.5, and have had numerous issues with 4th edition. Through it all I have been hand drawing maps as needed which I love doing. I've never done anything in software drawing other than Paint. (blushes) That's the extent of my digital mapping experience, so hopefully I can expand on that greatly with the help of everyone here.
    Let's learn the ropes Geektom!!

Welcome to the Guild Nymbos115! Did a 5-year sting in SoCal (North OC) myself while in Seminary. Love to see some of your hand-drawn work (you can post it up in the Finished Maps sections). As to learning digital cartography, well there are heaps of great tutorials available in the tutorials section. If you want a nice break down by software have a look a the sticky in that section entitled "Tutorials in PDF format". If you currently don't have any graphics software you should definitely download GIMP, a free raster program similar (though less powerful) to Photoshop. It is well supported in the tutorials here. Well, I wish you all the best in your quest. Once you begin a project post up a WIP so as to receive constructive feedback.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanx Arsheesh, for the welcome and the advice. I am heading over to the tutorials section so I can start getting familiar with GIMP. I have poked around with it a couple times and felt lost immediately. So, tutorials, here I come.
    Also, I will finish up my current hand-drawn map of Io soon and then I will post it.