Thread: [WIP] A Map for Starfall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's an updated map with larger islands drawn in. Most follow a fault line, but a few are much older formations and just jut out of the ocean. I'm going to skip the finicky little barrier islands that seem so common in reality for the time being, since they probably won't make a huge difference on a continental map (I'm not sure they'd even show up or just add a lot of noise). So now I kind of have to address elevations, I guess . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starfall v1.1.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	594.2 KB 
ID:	57954

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starfall v1.3.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	57986
    Update:
    • Added continental shelves and trenches.
    • Added major mountain ranges and some foothills.
    • Tweaked where the land meets the water.

Next on the To Do List:
    • Add in major rivers and lakes.
    • Add in a layer of major currents to help determine weather patterns later.

This is at the resolution at which I intend to work with this map (3000 x 4000 px). I am a little uncertain about how trivial a land feature I should include. This is intended to be a continent, so local hills and woodlands are obviously below the granularity of this map, but I'm starting to wonder how large of a river or desert, or forest I should include. This won't be a particularly political map - in fact, I will be using this map to sort out just how demographics and politics evolve (that latter may be negligible owing to other isolating factors in the setting). Ultimately, I intend to mark important locations and the few trails and trade routes that see any sort of regular travel. How do you determine what should go on a map and what should not?
    Last edited by Humabout; 09-29-2013 at 12:06 PM.