Thread: [WIP] Ghelvith - My second map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There are a couple of details that look too heavy on you map. I mean that it look more an island than a continent. The mountains take too much space unless your continent is the size of Australia for example. The coastal lines should be more subtle or closer to each other.

For the mountains, I usually uses brushes because I can't draw them, so I can't give advise on this.

I think you're right about having too many mountains. I placed all those mountains while zoomed in 200 or 400%. Then I zoomed out when I was finished and thought, Dang, that's too many. But I left it as is for the time being because I know that I'm not even going to use that mountain brush. I'm going to try to make another one, and when I finally get one I like, I'll try to put the mountains more realistically. For now I just wanted to see what a group of them, rather than a lonely mountain, looked like.

I think what I don't like about my mountains is the lack of a border on the sunlit side. It was done with an airbrush and the light parts had a higher transparency. I think it resulted in mountains blending with each other and in many of the mountains being only visible on the shadow side.

And I think you're right about my coastal border lines, too. I might scrap them altogether.

As for the size, I don't know yet, but I did sort of have Australia in mind at times. I currently imagine this continent at about one and a half Australias.