Thread: Top-Down building images/brushes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That'll work great, thanks. If you can manage to get the .PSD uploaded or maybe even a transparent .png that would great.
    Last edited by Steel General; 07-13-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You can use sketchup to make some simple or very complex shapes for buildings, extrude the shape to get some height if you want and then use this ruby script, roof.rb to add a variety of roof styles, the site has alot of scripts, the roof.rb is the most recent roof generator though.
    Its simple to use, just select the face you want to put a roof on, for hip and mansard style, click your plugins menu item at the top and then roof.rb, then make your choice of style and settings.
    For the other styles you open roof.rb first via the plugins menu and then click on three points to set where your roof will be built on the shape. you can texture the whole thing,eaves and all in one color with the paint bucket fill
    or do the following for more control
    Roof.rb builds the roofs as groups or components, so they have to be exploded first. To do that you select the roof and a blue box will appear, then go edit and select the bottom item,,,,,model instance something or other, click on that and then select explode, now you can texture your roof as you want.

Simply put the script in Sketchups plugin folder, oh yeah, some scripts are zips with documentation, some are just a text page which you save as whatever its name is+.rb

Then just render topdown views and gimp them into brushes.
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeerBlue View Post
    You can use sketchup to make some simple or very complex shapes for buildings, extrude the shape to get some height if you want and then use this ruby script, roof.rb to add a variety of roof styles, the site has alot of scripts, the roof.rb is the most recent roof generator though......
    I've never used Sketchup before, I'll have to check into it when I get a chance, thx.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.