Thank you for the support and kind words, both of you! Thank you for the advice/critique as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Llannagh View Post
Kudos for starting with such an ambitious project. I am myself currently working on a quite large map with the scale of Europe (1.5 million squaremiles). It is A LOT of work indeed!

In my opinion, you should spread out the mountains a little more. Right now they look a little blocky. Also, at the moment there is no sense of scale. You said the world has 2.5 mill squaremiles, so it's pretty huge. It being a map for players makes it necessary for a good sense of scale.

I admit I haven't read the discriptions for the regions yet, since it's already late where I'm at. I will do that later though, and give you critique. Are you programming yourself?
Thank you. I am redoing the mountains and terrain for the entire map, especially due to the lack of a proper scale. I didn't realize that CC3 did Grids so easily- although I should have known better, lol. I am going to cut up sections of the World Map, in 100x100 mile "Regions", and then use a 10x10 mile Grid to place Structures and Landmarks.

I realize that a 100 square mile area for a single landmark is a lot. However, I plan on doing this for two reasons.

1) My interest in City Cartography. There are some beautiful City Maps around here. In Game, this means that Cities, Towns, and Locations can go into a "City Map", using something wonderfully beautiful like City Designer 3. So, it would go World Map -> Region Map (100x100) -> Section (10x10) -> City Map (A map of the specific 10x10, but instead of a single icon representing a town or castle, it would be the full town and castle, all buildings, and surrounding area). Either that, or have three total maps: World Map for travel, Section Map for details, and Game Map for actual gameplay. I thought that the possibility of using beautiful city maps, might make for some fun gameplay. This might not work, but it interests me at least. Would be interesting to allow fast travel within a large city. I always found it boring in World of Warcraft, having to travel all around Storm Wind or Orgrimmar, just to do basic city tasks like bank or train.

2) Procedurally Generated, Random Content. If I place a "Dungeon" symbol in a 10x10 section, then that "Dungeon" is not a specific dungeon that I have to design myself. Instead, it is a 100 square mile area with 'Dungeons scattered around them." This can more realistically justify making all dungeons randomized. You explore one dungeon in that 10x10 section by going to the Icon, and the second and third time you go- completely different dungeons. Why? Because 100 square miles is HUGE! There's tons of [insert monster type] in that area.

Yes, I am programming it myself. I decided that I need to prototype the World Map & Long Travel Times. To do this, I need a correctly scaled map, and the possibility of a good looking one at that. Plus, it has been quite fun to create some maps in CC3 and learn about Mapping. It was even exciting to research medieval travel, such as how far someone can walk in a day.