Thread: [WIP] World Map for my Online Roleplaying Game

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unfortunately, this didn't turn out very well. The normal scale for the symbols is 0.5.
    I tried 0.25 scale, which seemed appropriate (the smallest I could get, without being too small. It still isn't to a realistic scale, but it is as close as I can get, with towns being 2x2 miles I believe, instead of 10x10.

I actually thought it would look better, but it just doesn't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	too small.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	58366

I tried something bigger, like 0.3, but it still gives the very small feeling. A scale of 0.4 looks just as big as the .5 because it consumes most of the section.

It is more important that players see a representation of a town, than a scale town.
    I think I'm going to, at least for now, stick with non-scale towns that look like they're 10x10 mile symbols, just because it represents the world better. I might later scale them down a tiny bit so I can place red markers to represent where the town actually is on the map, down to the 1 square mile.

Edit: I shrunk everything to 0.45 scale, instead of 0.5. This may only be 90% smaller than before, but it did help with the oversized village huts and to make everything a lot better. I also fixed some messed up scale, such as the docks being 1.0, instead of 0.5 (a bit bigger than the 0.45 scale of everything else, but it needs to be a bit bigger.)

I also changed things around, for it to make more sense. The town is actually closer, while the little villages are nearer to water, with only one village far away. I also added a lighthouse, and rivers throughout the world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kwaynos2.png 
Views:	321 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	58369
    Last edited by RonnyRulz; 10-14-2013 at 03:50 AM.