Thread: Town Stamp/Brush in PS 6

Default Town Stamp/Brush in PS 6

Hello,

I recently started mapping to create a World for the DnD Campaign I'm running.
    I combined a few awesome tutorials I found here and am pretty satisfied with the result.
    You can view the map here.

What bugs me is the way I'm making the towns at the moment which is pretty inconvenient.
    I've made the town dots in an extra document and copy stamp them into the map. I have to use many different dots for the different town sizes.
    I have tried it with a pattern stamp but then I cant place the dots where I want them.

Is there a way to make a brush or stamp that I can resize and place the city dots (color filled with black outline) where I want them?
    I tryed making a brush pattern but this way the colors aren't right.

thanks in advance

pabi

Photoshop does not have a way to make a multicolored brush (artists have been complaining about that for years, by the way). But from the looks of what you're doing, it's a pretty simple dot with a stroke. A round brush with 100% hardness is all you need. Make a different layer for each style you want (looks like that's simply color at the moment), place all of the dots, then use the layer effects to make the stroke and/or fill style. For flexibility, you might start with a 50% gray dot, then the color overlay effect, or a hue/saturation adjustment layer can be used to dial in the exact color you desire.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hey,

I'm pretty new to Photoshop, just started using it when I began mapping.
    98% of the Towns are just a grey dor with black outline. So if I could do that faster than with 2 brushes it would be awesome=) The colored ones I could still make the old way.

I dont really get what you mean, I make a new Layer and paint just the 50% grey dots on it. But how do i get the outline with layer effects?

thanks for your help!

A the bottom of your layers palette there is a row of icons. One of them is a little "fx". Click on that and choose "Stroke" from the pop-up window that appears. You'll get the Layer Style window, with Stroke already checked and active. The stroke is an outline around any brush strokes in the layer you had selected when you activated the layer styles. By default it should be a 3 pixel black outline, but you can adjust the parameters in that window. Once you click OK, you'll get a couple of new lines in your layers list: Effects and Stroke. If you double-click the Stroke line, it will call up the Layer Styles window again, letting you change the parameters even after the effect has been applied.

The effects will also be added to new brush strokes you place on that layer, and if you erase something, the effects will go away. You might also like to play with the glow and bevel effects.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Awesome tanks!! That should do exaclty what I need =)
    Will test it later today when I'm home.