i play tabletop roleplay with my friends since... oh my, a lot of years. Usually we play twice a week, two different campaigns with different master and usually slightly different number of players.
Just now i am trying to convert them to vtt, at least for purpouse of projecting maps, hints like old letters and parchments, symbols etc. , but we still use a lot a clear grid with magic marker.

I also play online with an italian Ultima Online non-official server (totally reworked, both in scripts than in map) since 2003: it's a full rpg shard, class based.
I play even single player "rpg" (skyrim etc).

I make (as master and as player) large use of maps, and even for the Ultima server i try to create maps to embellish the website and introduce the newcomers to the "new" world...

I am observing an uprising phenomenon (i am still referring strictly to Italy): a lot of younger players, coming from single player rpgs or from pvp games, experience a lot of difficulties to adapt to a kind of gaming more "ruled" (classes with limited capabilities, need to follow a coherent background) and at the same time more "free" and requesting imagination (interactions with other players, evolution of their own pcs, creation of plots).

Part of this phenomenon i am noticing especially in Ultima is sometimes the inability to relate to external visual elements such as maps and similar, mainly when they are presented in "different" way.
Just tilt the map by 45 degrees and 90% of gamers feel lost: and i think it's because they do not read the map, they are only comparing one image with the "radar map" of the game.
If you broke the direct link altering the aspect or the orientation, it's over.