Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Rivers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Overall it still need some improvement but it's looking good.

Wow, what an immediate change.
    I am working on the effects right now, but I think the darker color fits with the grittier environment.

I will work to make them more realistic by redrawing the flow after I figure out how they should look. I might use the current rivers as a "sketch" to build the surrounding terrain, and then delete them afterwards to make them flow better with the terrain, and finally polish the area.
    In this way, I let the sketch of the terrain define the major rivers, then let the rivers define the details of the terrain, then the details of the terrain redefine the rivers. This process is surely going to result in a lot of the guesswork and creativity lifting off of my back. It's easier to let the terrain and rivers take control, than to decide placement myself, lol.

The coolest part of making rivers, after reading the guide on how rivers work? They flow naturally. It all makes so much sense, logically. So much so, the rivers literally create themselves. I feel like I am just a method for the rivers to flow, not the designer who decides where they go.
    Last edited by RonnyRulz; 10-17-2013 at 02:36 AM.

I might have achieved somewhat of what you all advised.

I also messed with different depths of the inner pure black glow:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zz3.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	58476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zz2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	58475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zz1.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	58474

Unless I misunderstood the goal, and unless you think otherwise, I am going to choose 1 of the 3 above. I think they look better? The 3 pictures above range in 1 mile more/less of the pure black inner glow.
    Last edited by RonnyRulz; 10-18-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Here is what I have so far, compared to the old one:

Name:	TheRiverlands.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	742.8 KB 
ID:	58482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	416.4 KB 
ID:	58481

It looks much better

That looks soooo much better! Love the new shape of your rivers too...much better than my quick example, which were a bit too irregular I think. Try a few various shades darker than what you have now and see which one you prefer. I personally think a darker blue might look better on this map.

Here is what it would look like with a darker blue

Name:	darker iso.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	58846

I tried redrawing the rivers to be more isometric, to fit with the rest of the symbols, as someone suggested in this thread.

What do you think, compared to the older version?

Name:	isorier.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	580.3 KB 
ID:	58845

That's really looking nice! I love the perspective, and the color of the rivers sits very nicely in the image. Keep at it; I want to see the entire map done up like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
    That's really looking nice! I love the perspective, and the color of the rivers sits very nicely in the image. Keep at it; I want to see the entire map done up like this.
    So you think the darker river looks significantly better than the lighter one?

I feel it's a little too dark, but I also probably lost perspective on what it looks like since I spend to long on it, staring at it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast