Thread: Better Rivers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow, what an immediate change.
    I am working on the effects right now, but I think the darker color fits with the grittier environment.

I will work to make them more realistic by redrawing the flow after I figure out how they should look. I might use the current rivers as a "sketch" to build the surrounding terrain, and then delete them afterwards to make them flow better with the terrain, and finally polish the area.
    In this way, I let the sketch of the terrain define the major rivers, then let the rivers define the details of the terrain, then the details of the terrain redefine the rivers. This process is surely going to result in a lot of the guesswork and creativity lifting off of my back. It's easier to let the terrain and rivers take control, than to decide placement myself, lol.

The coolest part of making rivers, after reading the guide on how rivers work? They flow naturally. It all makes so much sense, logically. So much so, the rivers literally create themselves. I feel like I am just a method for the rivers to flow, not the designer who decides where they go.
    Last edited by RonnyRulz; 10-17-2013 at 02:36 AM.