Thread: {WIP} Map of Edo Period Japan for Vagabonds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello again everyone! It's been a while since the last update. Schwarzkreuz is hard at work on the map. Maiko and I finished our outline of the old Japanese map a few weeks ago, and we finally have a few of our larger sheets of washi prepared. We are going to take them to a large format scanner and get digital versions to SK as soon as possible for textures.

I am attaching a small version of our final outline, so you can at least see how much went into it. It isn't visually spectacular.

SK continues to make exceptional progress. We have been very happy working with him, and have enjoyed his attention to detail. He is essentially drawing the entire landscape by hand. We are going for a mix of ukiyo-e colors and simple line work -- it isn't any "one" traditional style, but more like a mix of several (and then, of course, SK's own handdrawn style mixed in). Some parts of it are illustrator-y/painterly, while others are more woodblock print. It's been fun watching this style develop. I am attaching a few shots, which SK authorized me to post. I'm sure he'd appreciate your rep, if you deem it worthy.

None of the colors are finalized here, by the way. Coloring will come after the line work. SK was also tinkering with some traditional Japanese patterns for the water (seikaiha is the name of the waves pattern shown in one of these pics). Also still to come are settlements and roads. So obviously, this firmly remains a WIP.

On the Vagabonds front itself: we are accepting playtest groups currently, so if any of you play tabletop roleplaying games and want to participate in our international playtest, don't hesitate to let me know.

- Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cgp1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	59027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cgp2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	59028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	japan-final-outline-small.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	59029