Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep Woods (photorealistic battlemap)

Very cool. I like the idea of creating a map from actual photography. It gives a real sense of texture.

Quote Originally Posted by davidhopkins View Post
    Very cool. I like the idea of creating a map from actual photography. It gives a real sense of texture.
    Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyjour View Post
    Thanks very much!

We have 32 acres. The immediate area around our house is "cleared", but the rest of the property is fully-forested. When we first moved here, it was literally impossible to walk it all. It was a thick tangle of undergrowth and thorny vines. But over the years our goats, donkeys and llama have cleared out all out. There's only a handful of mushroom species that grow near the house, so when I made that first trek through the "woods" with my camera, I was amazed at how many others I found!! You might be surprised at what you can find as well!
    Oh, how neat! We only have around 2 acres, so I know it inside out, though it's pretty packed with different habitats, nature and wildlife (especially birds). We have a number of fallen logs and growing fungus around our yard, if you want more textures I could always take a few photos for you.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Oh, how neat! We only have around 2 acres, so I know it inside out, though it's pretty packed with different habitats, nature and wildlife (especially birds). We have a number of fallen logs and growing fungus around our yard, if you want more textures I could always take a few photos for you.
    Fallen/rotting logs are a great place to hunt for fungi and mossy textures! And if you have lots of birds, you might even be able to find some old/abandoned nests to take top-down photos of (objects/elements for battlemaps).

I'm always on the lookout for good, natural textures (outdoor battlemaps are my preference), so if you wanted to share some of your textures, that would be much appreciated! Depending on how you'd want to distribute them, a fun idea/option (that I saw on the Dundjinni forum years back) could be to start a thread (in the Mapping Resources forum) and upload them as "stock" to be turned into useable/refined resources. Others could then take them, turn them into seamless textures, overlays, cut out objects/elements and turn them into PNGs, etc., and then post them back onto your thread. So it would be a Creative Commons ShareAlike type of thing. But as I said, that's just an idea depending on how you'd like to distribute them (and under which type of license).
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-26-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12