Thread: Would like to create 19th Century style map, I have no idea where to start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Freodin, I think I managed to replicate your style but it's kinda complicated.

1- draw the country landmass (layer 1)
    2- dupplicate the layer (layer 2)
    3- paint it in black
    4- apply a white inner glow setting the size and the thing above about the same size each. Set opacity to 75-100% and reach (first slidebar under quality) to 100%
    5- create a new layer under the layer 2, it's just a dummy layer to pixelize the glow effect (layer 3)
    6- merge layer 2 and 3 (but it's a good idea to keep a copy just in case) (layer 2)
    7- select all of layer 2 and copy it
    8- in chanel, create a new chanel and paste the pixels of layer 2 (call it layer 2)
    9- go back in the layer menu, pick layer 1 and create a layer mask
    10- go back to the chanel menu and select the layer 1 chanel, select copy and paste the cotent of layer 2 chanel in the layer 1 chanel
    11- Create a new layer on to and apply a striped pattern (preferably black and white) , set it to lighten (layer 4)
    or you can also use the option to add a pettern in the layer option
    12- Create a new layer on top, select the country shape and color and add a border toward the interior of the same color. Lower the opacity of the layer if necessary. (layer 5)
    13- and finally add a layer in the bottom that will serve as a background, a pale brown will do

what do you think ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	europe 31 juillet copie.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	553.5 KB 
ID:	58549
    Last edited by Azélor; 10-19-2013 at 04:20 PM.