Thread: [CC3/DD3] How to do a cave waterfall?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterfall test.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	58591

I've attached a quick sample of what I'm talking about. This is just quickly thrown together of course. There's a WALLS sheet, a FLOOR sheet (cave floor), and a SUBFLOOR sheet (the grass). I've just got some inner/outer glows on the floors, and a drop shadow on the FLOOR to give the effect of a drop-off. The WATER sheet is my fractal water texture, with an Edge Fade on it (25-50% opacity). The shadows need to be tweaked, especially on the ledge, but I just through this quick sample together while I was at work; the points from the fractals are horrible, too--the real map isn't so rough looking. I like this texture style though (Jon Roberts Dungeon Style Pack), and I'm not looking to change that. I just want it to look like a waterfall.

I've tried sticking some skinny fractal lines all over the edge of the falls, and then blur/transparency them a little, but it just doesn't feel like it's coming together. So I'm hoping someone here has some better advice.
    Last edited by Xorne; 10-22-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    "We all take our risks, down here in the dungeon." --Bargle

Guild Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterfall test 2.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	58592

Okay, so instead of working (who does that?) I fiddled around with it some more.

I moved the grass down to a SUBLOOR sheet, and split the water into a WATER sheet and SUBWATER sheet (below the FLOOR sheet) then added a drop shadow to the FLOOR sheet, which really gives the appearance of depth. I added a two Glow (inner) effects to the water, one white with 0 strength, 2 blur, and a black one with 1 strength and 1 blur, so it looks cut out from the floor. I added a slight Bevel to the FLOOR sheet as well to make a lip.

I'm liking it more now--but I still can't figure out a good way to do a "white water" effect of the falls and landing. (It's only supposed to be a 10 foot drop or so.)
    Last edited by Xorne; 10-22-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    "We all take our risks, down here in the dungeon." --Bargle