Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Eldoran

Finally, I think I'm gonna go with those fonts... I wasn't really happy with the previous one used for regions : the "L" wasn't distinct enough of the "I" when curved.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noveon neolabels3.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	59249
    Hope you'll agree with me... I'm gonna keep working on it but would be glad to progress on that one !

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I agree this font is more legible than the previous one. Now I would try some sea labels font that is more consistent with the one you just picked.
    Last edited by - Max -; 11-23-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is looking great! I LOVE that mountain technique. As far as the font for the ocean names, I've got to disagree with Max; I think what you've got now gives things a nice contrast without seeming unnatural.

Thank you guys!

Unfortunately, you're not much of an help with your two different point of view
    So, I'm gonna keep labelling the lands with those fonts. And for the seas, I think that the smaller and curved labels for the bays, gulfs and other smaller parts will decide if this font is to be kept or not.

on the ocean font: i really love it. the fancy bits are lovely, but as they get smaller they start to look less like part of the letters, and more like misplaced lines or something. if there's a version of the font without the extra flourishes, i'd use that for the smaller areas like bays and such.

although, if there's a way to make the flourishes more prominent without losing their delicacy or causing them to be overpowering, then that may work too. i know some fonts have a bold version, and if that isn't the one you're using, and it's available, maybe it would be a better choice?

it's a really gorgeous font, and i really like it. but the smaller it gets, the messier it appears because you're not able to see the full effect of the really delicate parts of the flourishes.

Yes, you're right DZFaeley. I'm not sure a bold version would solve this, though.

As it's likely to be worse with the smaller and curved labels, I'll probably use another font.

I see both sides of it. It's a beautiful font, it does contrast and makes the names of the seas pop; however, it's not consistent. It seems almost as if your one fonts is clean, and on the paper perfectly. Theeeen you have the oceans which meld into the water color(awesome idea and good execution), and looks weathered because it looks to be set on multiply, combined with the fact that the letters aren't perfectly written like your others(little jaggedity bits on the letters due to multiple pen strokes, etc). It's a contrast, and the style of the font is awesome, but I think you might want to change one or the other. I would say use a more calligraphy/hand-written looking font for all of them, or a more clean-edged font for your oceans. As always, just my opinion and it should always be taken with a grain of salt(maybe some broccoli to put the salt on, a little butter and some Parmesan?), your style and what you feel is best is always more important.

Also, the shadows on those mountain ranges are still impacting the legibility a bit. Maybe try boosting the outer glow just a smiiiidge more? See how it looks. Not saying it's the answer, or that it's right, but a bit more of an outline about those letters to stop rivers and shadows from eating them would be nice. Stupid question but, is your rivers layer under or over your labels? That could be the answer right there. =)

By Psylence
    I would say use a more calligraphy/hand-written looking font for all of them, or a more clean-edged font for your oceans.
    Well, that's exactly where I stood yesterday. After a few tests, I changed the "seas" font for a hand-written but clean-edged font. I'll posted it next, but I think it looks good.
    As for the mountains labels : I don't want to hide the mountains too much, so, I'm just trying to put the labels the best I can.

Questions are never stupid I like to quote the proverb "One who ask a question looks a fool during five minutes. One who doesn't ask is a fool all his life".
    And the answer is : the rivers are under the labels.

And Here is the map with more moutains/regions labelled and the new maritime labels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noveon neolabels4.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	59340

Ouch! It will be difficult to post the finished map... Its already reaching the size limits.

Could you try changing the cartouche to the same style you used for the compass roses? And will you add some kind of border?

Hm... or perhaps not. The map already exceeds the allowed awesomeness level.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast