Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Eldoran

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Wow Ilanthar, this is epic! I have no idea why I haven't commented here before, it's extremely cool! I love the colors and shapes, and the detail level and size is very, very impressive The cartouche is gorgeous too.

If I'd have any criticism to give, it'd be that the mountain labels seem to be identical to nation labels except for the slightly smaller size, which is a little confusing to someone with rusty french And many of your sea labels could curve to harmonize with the land shapes more, I think.

I also very much dig this project. Well done, Ilanthar.

Have some Rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks a lot for your comments!
    The map is already far much better thanks to your advices!

@ Freodin : my original idea was a 6300x4200 px, so with enough place above and under the map to put borders. But I planned also to put all informations in one map, and it's just revealed impossible (for the file size as for the sanity of the reader ). So I'll do a political map. I haven't completely given up the idea of putting borders though.

@Lingon : you're very welcome, I'm also making happy discoveries in the guild! The labels are for mountains & geographic regions (no nations here)
    I used the same font because those are both geographic features and because I have hard time to find a good font for this map! Maybe I should add some details like "desert" or "plateau", but a lot of them are just global regions (like "central europe" or "siberia").
    And I'm gonna try to improve the sea labels.

New update with all labels for this map (a little bit reduced). Finally, I added a little and very simple border.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eldoran close to end.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	4.08 MB 
ID:	59466
    @Lingon :
    many of your sea labels could curve to harmonize with the land shapes more, I think
    While adding the last labels, I was thinking I didn't really catch your meaning. Are you talking about regional labels like "Archipel des Yaskin" or ocean & seas labels?

And here is my base map for the political version. I'll probably put shields/flags above.
    I faded a little bit the mountains and change the color of the seas to obtain an better general look (as the lands are less colored). What do you think of it?

Name:	Noveon politics ST.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	4.54 MB 
ID:	59467

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I think that I prefer the political map :p Good job.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks pretty amazing! I think I like the political map better too, but only because that kind of look appeals the most to me. The physical map is looking great too; like I said before, I love that mountain technique.

And I do have to admit, this new ocean font is more legible, but I still liked the look of the other one better...

I was talking about oceans, seas, bays etc. I did a quick paintover on a section of the map to show what I meant, I hope you don't mind! The red lines are how I'd curve/straighten out the text, basically I just tried to make it flow with the coastlines more, and in a couple of spots I made it horizontal to match some other horizontal labels you have, which I like.

Name:	Eldoran.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	59470

But yeah, this is an extremely minor thing and you might not even agree with my suggestions, and overall, Eldoran looks completely amazing

Thanks!

My guess is that you prefer colors less vivid than those on the geographical map
    The blue of the seas was too strong compared to the political borders, and that's the main reason for the changes. In fact, I think I'm gonna prefer the political map too... And that's gonna be certain if I can put all the informations I intend on it!

By Lingon
    But yeah, this is an extremely minor thing and you might not even agree with my suggestions
    A bit in the middle. I completely agree with a lot of your suggestions (for the ocean and most of the bays). Some seas "borders" like the "Mer Eméane" required this orientation for the label.
    The visual aid is gonna be very useful! Did you note other improvements on the rest of the map labels?

Glad you found it helpful to some degree I didn't note anything on the rest of the map, but I'll take a look if you want

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    I was talking about oceans, seas, bays etc. I did a quick paintover on a section of the map to show what I meant, I hope you don't mind! The red lines are how I'd curve/straighten out the text, basically I just tried to make it flow with the coastlines more, and in a couple of spots I made it horizontal to match some other horizontal labels you have, which I like.

Name:	Eldoran.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	59470

But yeah, this is an extremely minor thing and you might not even agree with my suggestions, and overall, Eldoran looks completely amazing
    i noticed this as well. it really only felt weird to me for the Archipel des Zechalar. the islands have a beautiful curve, and the label feels more stiff in comparison.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast