Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Eldoran

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I don't think it's too crowded with labels. That looks nice as it is. Maybe you could have variations of the same font to clearly show the different sizes of cities (using capitalized letter or bold and such).

I think the city labels are ok since it's a political map. For the regional names, maybe a darker color and smaller font would be a good idea ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Thanks to both of you!

I'm struggling with the labels but I hope to post next update of the political map soon.
    Try adjusting the spacing of the letters. Wider spacing works better with curved labels. Also, try to stretch the label out to give an idea of the extent of the feature, and try to avoid mixing curved and uncurved labels or different text sizes for a particular class of feature. Wildly mismatched fonts, and particularly ornate and decorative fonts are also a bad idea for labels.

Given that it appears to be a small scale map, the scale bar doesn't make sense. There is no consistent linear scale on such a map. The compass roses and rhumb lines indicate it's in Mercator projection, particularly big chunks at the poles removed.

Thanks for your advices!

By - Max -
    Maybe you could have variations of the same font to clearly show the different sizes of cities (using capitalized letter or bold and such).
    Good idea, I'll test it. I used the same font for cities & regions, hope it will not be a problem.

By Azelor
    For the regional names, maybe a darker color and smaller font would be a good idea ?
    I have already try a darker color. I'll give it a try to a smaller font!

By Hai-Etlik
    Try adjusting the spacing of the letters. Wider spacing works better with curved labels.
    Not that easy on PSP, but yes, I've observed that and your advice just give me an idea.

By Hai-Etlik
    Given that it appears to be a small scale map, the scale bar doesn't make sense. There is no consistent linear scale on such a map. The compass roses and rhumb lines indicate it's in Mercator projection, particularly big chunks at the poles removed.
    Well, it's a world map. Eldoran is a bit smaller than Earth (about 10,030 km in diameter). The scale bar is correct for the equator mainly and to "give an idea" of the scale (31,500 km of circumference at the equator).

As for the compass and rhumb lines, I have to say that I didn't thought about it... it's more a test and just esthetic, nothing more. Truth be told, I don't even know what it's indicating, you're the one who tells me it looks like a Mercator projection

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Well, it's a world map. Eldoran is a bit smaller than Earth (about 10,030 km in diameter). The scale bar is correct for the equator mainly and to "give an idea" of the scale (31,500 km of circumference at the equator).

As for the compass and rhumb lines, I have to say that I didn't thought about it... it's more a test and just esthetic, nothing more. Truth be told, I don't even know what it's indicating, you're the one who tells me it looks like a Mercator projection
    Well, scale bars, compass roses, and rhumb lines have specific meanings on maps. A scale bar means "This map has a reasonably consistent linear scale throughout its extent, and this is what it is." Your map is a very small scale map ("zoomed out"), presumably of a globe, and so, it can't have a consistent linear scale regardless of what projection it's in so a scale bar doesn't make sense.

Compass roses and rhumb lines mean "This map has a reasonably consistent preservation of compass bearing across its extent, and here's how it's oriented." It's also a fairly strong sign that the map is intended for air or marine navigation. For a small scale map, there's only one projection that can preserve bearings, and that's Normal Mercator. If it is Normal Mercator, then the aspect ratio of the map implies that you've chopped off the poles quite aggressively.

For labelling, you might try doing that in Inkscape if your current software isn't up to it.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 12-08-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Yep, I'm gonna keep the rhumb lines and compass roses, so I think I can just remove the scale bar

by Hai-Etlik
    For labelling, you might try doing that in Inkscape if your current software isn't up to it.
    I haven't much time lately, but that's a good idea, thanks.

After changing fonts and applying a lot of your good advices , here's where I stand so far...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eldoran about labels.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	523.5 KB 
ID:	59677
    This part of the world is the more difficult for labels (big names for Niangingtanggulashan and small areas). I think it is indeed better and easier to read.

Guild Adept

I am really into the colors and overall impression of this map. Excellent work.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

You could still add a scale bar, if you want to keep that hint towards the size of your world. Just add a note saying "scale on equator" or something like that.

I am not sure the new fonts work, though. The sans-serif font you use for cities appears a little to modern for this style and it clashes rather heavily with the beautiful elaborate font of your ocean labels.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Though It's legible, I'd probably use a serif font indeed (and may avoid pure black on it but rather some similar color to the territories labels, a bit darker).

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast