Thread: Large World Construction Issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just worked on a 10,000 x 5000 pixel size map in GIMP myself and have to agree with the other here that having such a large map may be pointlessly troubling. Towards the end Gimp and my computer was starting to struggle with it, which when you are tried can make editing really frustrating. It ended up being just under a gig in size. You also have to consider what a map is about, a world map is about presenting large scale general information, for a finer understanding about areas on the map people use correspondingly smaller and smaller scales (or larger and larger... what? no that can't be right..). So you have to question whether having a world map in which you can see every river or field or populated area is really what you want to work on in a world map. And if not then you could cut away much of that size. If I were to redo the map I'd think I'd use the Poster size Viking suggests or something with around the same total area. Sometimes good enough is just perfect, all art is about editing. Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    (or larger and larger... what? no that can't be right..)
    It is actually. In geography and cartography, the area covered is the "extent" while the size things are drawn (specifically the ratio between how big they are drawn, and how big they really are) is the "scale". So a "large scale" map has things drawn larger than a "small scale" map.