Thread: Criticism wanted - Black and white overland map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I agree. Just a little chaos would do it good.

It definitely needs labels, and maybe a legend. I am assuming that the stippled area in the south is desert, based on the oasis symbols. What's directly north of there? Grassland? Or swamp? The former is okay, but I don't think you'd be likely to see a swamp right next to a desert! Particularly not with that river being where it is.

Why is there no road leading from the bridge to the large settlement to the north? I guess a lot of shipping would come by water, but surely there is enough foot traffic to warrant a road along the same route.

There are some lines among the mountains that I can't figure out. Are they maybe the edge of the mountains zone that you forgot to delete?

If you reduce the density of a few elements, mostly the forests and mountains, this would be a superb example of the kind of map that would print well for a paperback novel.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackAndWhiteWorld.JPG 
Views:	645 
Size:	508.6 KB 
ID:	58733

Ok, here is my latest iteration, i would like to say that You have been an amazing help!

I redesigned the peninsula. I copied something i found on this site, and i think it applied really well to the map.

* Labels: Ill add that when i know what to label. Right now it is just a map without history, but labels it shall be!
    * The area to the south is desert, i will add terrain to next iteration!
    * The area to the north was indeed a swamp. I have no idea why i placed it there so i replaced it with a jungle, trying to make some Sahara/Congo interpretation.
    * True there should be a road. But i actually forgot the city when i placed roads. Shame on me, thanks for reminding me. Road is ofacause added.
    * The lines arround the mountains, and the hills are borders, it shows where the mountains ends and the hills begins. I removed the lines, you are right they were just confusing.

Concerns:
    The North-West coast should have a city or town, maybe village, it is the only rich resource for wood except from the jungle. It would be profitable to place a settlement there.

The north-east:
    I placed a wasteland in the north east, with a lot of ruins. It is supposed to be an area with great danger, just inviting for adventure.

The desert uncharted:
    I did on purpose add nothing to the south eastern part of the desert, because it is uncharted.