Quote Originally Posted by schattentanz View Post
At the moment, the polecaps are just blank; ice comes in hues of blue, however .. you might want to try to play with clouds coloured with a white-blue gradient here ..
Looking at your temperature maps leaves the impression of summer not being too different from winter .. Is that intentional? (It's the Venus after all ..)

Other than that: Very nice!
Thank you for the tip on the icecap. I am really at a loss for how to do ice on a map. I was tinkering with some random noise colored blue, but whenever I made it particularly blue, it looked really bad. It could be the shade I was using or the noise. I'll definitely try clouds.

The temperature maps were generated using the climate cookbook. The outcome wasn't intended any particular way, and I may still play with it more. It's built up with three layers of semi-transparent blues and reds based on different factors. I might try tinkering with it a bit more to see if I can get a better gradient happening. Maybe if I do a black and white gradient based on temperature on one layer. Copy that layer and do a color invert. Then color one layer red, the other blue and overlay them on each other? I'm really still learning my way around GIMP, so if anyone knows a better way, please speak up!

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
I love how well thought out this project is. Kudos Humabout!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh
Thank you! Eventually, I'll start working on coastlines of my own, but for now, this looks like a good way to get some practice without agonizing over the basic shapes. And with a little luck, I'll even get a game map out of it!