Thread: Fantasy map DRAFT - need help with vegetation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparison.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	987.8 KB 
ID:	58922
    Matched

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Well if they're supposed to be similar size the first thing I'd say is that I have some issues with your mountain ranges being the size of entire countries Fantasy is fantasy though.

Yeah my first impressions given the features was also something smaller than that as well, maybe about a third of that size at the largest. I was thinking more like the size of the area of Greece to the Turkish coast.

As far as I know, ocean currents don't move opposite of each other. Your red currents should travel the same direction as the blue ones or vice versa. This actually influences the climates along coasts as well as the water temperatures. In general the west coast of all continents have colder water and the east coast has warmer water. As far as deserts, interesting note on those, you'll find an abundance 30 degrees north and south of the equator. The reason for this is that the air circulates in a sort of 3 dimensional way; you have currents that travel east/west/north/south and up and down as well. Your air actually circulates in a way that at the equator is travels up from the surface(which causes an abundance of tropical storms), and down at 30 degrees (causing dry upper air to come down and quench their thirst on the wetter air killing off storms - though obviously not all), then back up again at 60 degrees (which causes areas to be heavily wooded), and back down again at the poles (which are a sort of frozen desert). This of course is just some of the motions that bring about weather, but it's an interesting note and can be useful to think about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12