Thread: Creating an actual map from top-perspective. How?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You can work in 3d or by hand or with a graphics editor.

For graphics program or by hand I'd start by drawing a top down version of the map you are planning with all the areas that will have height or depth marked on the map, such as mountains and cities marked out. In GIMP there is a perspective tool you can use to take that flat image and essentially tilt it back into space. I use it by selecting a rectangle that I want to put into perspective, then cut and paste it (I'm sure there is a better way) and then take the box nodes and alter it until it looks right. If you want to stick to isometric, rather than one or two point perspective (which it appears the Hyrule map is done with) then you fold the box down in a manner that looks like a parallelogram / /. If you want a one point perspective then you fold it down so it looks like an isosceles trapezoid with the two edges pointing inward / \. Using that as a base I'd start a new layer and using your perspective map as a base I'd start drawing the features in where the map indicates, starting with the farthest away and moving towards the front keeping each object in a separate layer. By hand it'd be pretty much the same thing except you'd have to redraw your map in perspective by hand rather than using the GIMP tool. Then just draw the objects back to front like you would using the layers except using pencils and erasers.

3D would likely be a lot of work unless you are keeping it very simple. But if you take a look at Gameprinter's link there you may want to do it anyways since it looks pretty damn good.

I'm sure others have better methods though. Also you can just use graph paper and bang it all out by hand on there, there is also isometric graph paper available at art stores (it's triangles instead of squares).
    Last edited by Falconius; 11-18-2013 at 06:43 AM.