Thread: Creating an actual map from top-perspective. How?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by thepinksalmon View Post
    If you're wanting to make an isometric map then I would take a look at these two wikipedia entries:
    Isometric projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Axonometric projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In particular this image should illustrate the differences between different types of projection. Once you understand the basics you can do it one of two ways. You can freehand your design, keeping the projection type in mind (this seems to be how most artists here do it). Or you can put down a grid and use that as a guide. I would say the grid is more useful with man-made structures than organic ones.
    I cheat. I use a 3D application to create and place the objects that will be used in the projection, then I set the camera to isometric mode which creates the proper angle and the non-perspective view. Of course I then usually print the image in b/w and trace it with a pen on tracing paper to rescan and create a quality hand-drawn isometric map perfectly.

Here's a link to my March 2010 CG Map Challenge Entry thread which I create one of these...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-11-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations