View Poll Results: What is your favorite map ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: CWBP 2 Deciding the map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Neighbors don't really have to agree all that much, especially if we use the variable plots I'm advocating. For one thing one does not expect medieval maps to even be semi accurate. And with the variable plot method the intervening areas between maps will be filled in after having established earlier maps with which they intersect. Here is an example of what I mean.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plot Example 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	59909
    Red areas are at the moment un-mappable and blue areas are the plots where a person can map, the green areas are plots that people have chosen to do. As long as a person is working in a plot that plot is locked off for them alone. When they finish the map the plot opens back up for others to work with if they so choose. They can choose as much or as little of an area in whatever shape they want. I feel that this will lead to greater intrest and flexibility in the project.

So for example the guy in C4 is only mapping about half his available area, but no one else can take over the other half (unless of course he feels like working with that person or in a partner ship). Essentially during the time he chooses to keep it it is his to do with what he will.

In F3 and F4 the person claimed adjacent plots, in this case he can choose to map the intervening space. for the restricted areas, should sufficient map information be completed in either plot adjacent to it they will open up and be mappable.

I'd also say that if a person chooses to just map a city in an empty plot that also locks off the plot till its done, but I didn't do an example of that.

Nor do the plots have to be strictly arranged in a grid. It makes sense to arrange them according to the geography as well, as long as they all have labels it shouldn't be a problem.

This is just an example, I think that the restricted zones should actually be a bit wider. Another alternative altogether is to have an many small plots and people claim as many as they feel necessary to complete their maps. I feel the first example is simpler to execute though.

On breaking down the land points that way that is indeed an interesting way to look at them. I hadn't really considered that. Personally however my main interest is in the land forms and a lot of variation.
    Last edited by Falconius; 12-24-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Added a clause for opening up restricted areas.